Can you put a frame mounted engine on a Schwinn Meridian trike?

bikebum1975

Local time
8:37 AM
Hi all I would like to know if anyone has mounted an engine on a Scwinn meridian trike before and if you have any tips on how to do it. I am thinking of putting a foru stroke from bicycle-engines.com on it maybe even a two stoke. Can it be mounted on the frame? Also can you use a shift kit on it like the one from sickbikeparts.com any help would be greatly appriciated. Here is the link to the trike picture.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5679542

i bet you could rig up a motor mount, but that trike is a single speed... would the shift kit really benefit you?

i built one for a neighbor, it was gebe w/subaru on front. you can use a pocket bike motor and cvt mounted above rear axle.

whatever that basket is bolted to , just put in a 1 inch piece plywood . those bikes are so top heavy be careful on the corners
i'm also building a trike pic is when i first got it have it down to frame just painted .new tires going on this coming week , still undecided about motor ,, having probs figuring out right size pulleys i'm a builder not a mechanic..
anyway have fun

Attachments

• new focus 010.jpg
    new focus 010.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 2,106
Hey there. I'm building a motorized Schwinn trike as well, but mine's like 30+ yrs old. It's actually a Town and Country tri-wheeler. I specifically chose those because of room in the back to put the motor and such.

Here's a pic:
th_downsized_0728081534.jpg
Full pic

It's going to be a custom project, though, no kits involved. But if you want to share ideas, let me know, I'd be willing to help out what I can.

Last edited:
I would think that a frame mount would work (2 stroke or 4). May take some working to get the mount to fit. I think the use of the SBP shift kit is a good idea even with it being a single speed because it would allow use of the stock chain drive and take care of any issues there may be in hooking up a drive system to the rear wheels.

I need a complete parts list for installing a gas motor on my trike I already have the motor what else do i need

The safe bet is a low rider,,, less chances of tipping over,,, Ha
View attachment 98200

The wheels are garbage as we found out the other day,,, they fold up like pop cans... Ha...

Put seat on top of the axle assembly too keep the mass weight down low ,,, you might need a pedal forward cylinder ...

The only way to tell if you like the Schwinn seating position factory or down low is too try it,,, granted that once you get the center of mass lower that you'll really like the trike...

You'll have too find better wheels for the back at your choosing,,, some folks have had good luck with them,,, other folks such as us have not...

View attachment 98201
Now that looks downright scary. There is a reason ATCs aren't made anymore. I hope you don't find out why the hard way...

Pay attention @55 seconds.

They cheated and welded the rear differential to make it tip easier (this is why I said to get a Limited Slip Differential).

Added in part 2 for lulz.

For extra lulz, Rowan Atkinson's (aka Mr. Bean's) take on 3 wheelers.

BTW, I love old Mini Coopers, think they are the best small cars ever made. They competed with Ferraris back in the day on small twisty tracks. Where they lacked in straight line they made up for in the turns.

Last edited:
Back