Removing the rear wheel from an EZIP Trailz

Be prepared to spend more money on good Lithium batteries. Don't even waste your money on 2nd SLA. Otherwise they are very good bikes. The thing is really built to be motorized!

This is not always the case, but may be where you live. Where I live, there isn't a decent hill for many miles , so it is easier on the batteries & very easy to casually assist a little. Much different case in hilly areas.

Having just had to repair a flat tire on my Trailz eZip, I can vouch for these instructions.

However, I was able to remove the motor without unbolting it from the motor mount (step 6 in these instructions). Might be different on different model bikes (mine is a 2011), but it saves a lot of fiddling around.

I can also recommend that you have thought about step 7 first otherwise you have a heavy motor hanging by its connecting electrical wires, which can only lead to tears.

Finally, "admission of stupidity" time: despite having changed heaps of rear wheels, do you think I remembered to disconnect the brake before undoing everything !?!? Maybe that should be listed as step 0...

Trailz Kit with Li-Ion?

Ozzy,
et.al.,

Is it possible to get a Trailz kit with a Li-Ion battery instead of the SLA for roughly the difference between the battery prices (about $550)?
If so, where?
If not, does it make sense to get the kit with the SLA and also get a Li-Ion battery at the same time (besides logistical reasons for back-and-forth commutes) ?

How many charge cycles are folks REALLY getting with Trailz SLAs?
How many real cycles with Trailz Li-Ions?

If you do the math with 200 cycles for $105 SLAs and with 1200 cycles for $350 Li-Ions, it's a no brainer. Even with 400 cycles for SLAs, it's not really even. Li-Ions, mean less weight, less charging time, less batteries to toss.
Is there something I'm missing here?
What factors argue against Li-Ions?

Has someone posted the guidelines for charging and discharging Li-Ions?

I have had my EZIP - Trailz Men's Bike for 6 months now. Takes about 6 to 8 hours to charge from near zero. Battery still seems to hold a 6 mile range okay but starting to slow some what. Luckily Currie is across the valley from me, but they have a policy that forces you to will-call parts the next day or ship it. A bad policy if you are local and can just pickup what you need. All things considered, the bike I have has been decent for riding though the front shocks on the forks are now seeing leakage. When I got it, I immediately replaced the hard saddle with a Gel comfort seat, added a horn, strobing led lights back and front and a small rechargable Ion music player for tunes on my average 10 mile jaunts. I would say the quality has been okay so far and stories vary. One of the mods I am in the process of doing is chucking the mountain bar and adding a Stingray Style so I can seat better. The stretched MTN Bike position just kills my back after a bit. The EZIP also comes with off-road tires and tubes as they have been extra thick. Originally I got mine through a Pepboys and the deal was $299.00 so it was a decent thing. If I were starting from scratch though, I would consider a decent quality cruiser and add a front hub motor setup. You can mount a rack for their SLA batteries if you go the 450 watt route and add a lion battery later. This only requires a quick swapout of the front wheel from various sellers. I may yet consider that in the near future. Currie wants 400 bucks for a Lion battery and for that amount I can weigh many other options including cracking the older battery case and installing new sla's in there too, the cheapest option of course. Hope this helped those who inquired. BTW, Tina at Currie is a sweetheart of a person ;) even if I disagree with their will-call policies.

Oh P.S. here is my music player for those who want tunes. It has worked great and after a night charge averages about 8 play hours of tunes. The life of it though depends how loud the speaker is which can be played quite loud while riding. I usually set mine at mid way. It charges through an USB cable included and a USB to Power adapter works as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Zaps-Portable-Waterproof-Entertainment-motorbike/dp/B003JI5XYS/

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
T-Plug Mod

1st! - Install quick connect near motor. Makes all work much easier-faster.
I used a "Dean's Plug, (T plug or XT for better grip), and cut the motor wire at 2 1/4" from motor ... my "standard", quick swaps between bikes.
1033d1315568820-20mph-ezip-24-volt-oem-pack-t-plug01.jpg

This basic 1 time mod can save you 1/2 hour on any rear wheel work!

1st! - Install quick connect near motor. Makes all work much easier-faster.
I used a "Dean's Plug, (T plug or XT for better grip), and cut the motor wire at 2 1/4" from motor ... my "standard", quick swaps between bikes.
1033d1315568820-20mph-ezip-24-volt-oem-pack-t-plug01.jpg

This basic 1 time mod can save you 1/2 hour on any rear wheel work!

Found replacement picture.
I standardized at 2.25" (2¼") from motor

XYD-16 Bracket.jpg

Did it a long time ago. Went with a Papamotors 1000 48 system, schwabe green apple tires aeosop trailer hitch, rides awesome. Cheaper than replacing a lead acid pack every 6 months. Papamotors was the best decision I could have ever made. Very honorable firm great folks, PING battery lasts and lasts. Currie on the other hand treated me very bad. Poor service and a slow expensive short lived product.

eZip Gearing.JPG

Best thing about the eZip motors is you can regear and or revoltage.

I plan on maintaining multiple quick swap motor-wheel combinations.
Motor - Wheel
9T ....... 20T = oem 15-16mph@24V ~23mph@37V
9T ....... 16T = 16T mod 20mph@24V, 21mph+@25.9V, 27mph@37V
13T ..... 20T = 13T mod 20mph@22.2V, 22+mph@25.9V, 30mph@44.4V
9T ....... 22T = 22T mod 14mph@24V, ~20mph@33.3V

Combined with my various battery packs:
22.2V 30.24Ah LiPo
24V SLA 2 - (new) never used, charged monthly
25.9V 2 - 26Ah 1 new 1 3+ years old
33.3V 31.2Ah 1 very used building 1 with new cells
37V = none at present
44.4V = plan on 44.4V 21.6Ah LiPo & Lipo 22.2-44.4V switch pack but future project ...

I will have a variety of speed and economy choices!

Last edited:
Back