HT Push Trailer

s_beaudry

Local time
6:59 AM
Just looking on building something original and astheticly pleasing....

Here is my idea for a very sleek and very quiet HT push trailer....

Build a small metal framed trailer with two andgled pipes welded to it verticly as to mount the engine to. The pipes would mount to an adjustable plate so the chain can be tensioned

As the HT engine sprocket can accomodate a #41 chain, run a 5/8" small axle with a go kart sprocket (maaybe 48 tooth) to drive the rear wheels

Keep the stock muffler on it, and enclose the trailer in sheet metal with some venting holes in the front and rear of the trailer. Run a high speed fan off of the white wire to keep the engine cool and circulate the air.

Build a trailer hitch off of the two rear axle bolts of the bicycle. Keep the engine centered on the trailer axle to keep the tires in contact with the ground.

Run the clutch and throttle cables very cleanly along the frame to some type of disconnect point for eassy removal.

This is my idea, now for your opinions....

Easier to mount to the frame of course, but I have extra materials for this project. How would it look astheticly towing an enclosed small trailer?

Would enclosing the engine with venting front and back and a fan be enough to keep it from getting too hot?

Would an HT setup like this start with pedaling, or would the wheels jump while trying to start it? Would extra weight solve this problem over the axle?

All thoughts are welcomed...

Would an HT setup like this start with pedaling, or would the wheels jump while trying to start it? Would extra weight solve this problem over the axle?

All thoughts are welcomed...

I don't think it would start. You would need a significant amount of weight on the axle to get the traction needed to overcome the compression of the engine.

You can buy a pullstart for the happytime and a centrifugal clutch to eliminate the clutch lever altogether.

I'd still wonder about air flow. What kind of fan are you going to use?

I would use the greatest flowing fan I could find that would run off of the 6 volts on the white wire. The front vent would be larger sized as to bring in the fresh air and positioning of the fan would be critical. I would have to test it in terms of pulling, pushing, or just recirculating the air around inside the enclosure.

I heard that the pull start for the HT's is very bad as it only lasts about 20 times or so.

Also, did not know there was a centrifugal clutch available for the HT, is there???

At a guess, I would say that the white wire could never give you enough power to move any significant quantity of air. But if your openings were big enough, then I'd think that cooling would no longer be a big issue.

As for ease of starting, a little bit of ballast weight and larger wheels ought to work. Of course this would change your "gearing". But you might find a happy balance.

Cables are going to be a problem. Perhaps you'll have to have the cable pull levers removable from the handlebars

Back