Staton-Inc question

shawnshank

Local time
6:50 PM
I am very close to purchasing one of Staton-Inc's rack mounted, friction drive kits. Specifically the FDR-427 Mitsubishi 42.7cc 2.2 hp kit.
Does anyone know where I can get a promotional code for this order before I place it?

Shawn, unsure if Dave will give you a discount this first time, but on each subsequent purchase he will.

Hmm, what kind of bike are you gonna put the front-drive Mits onto? I have that same kit on my Raleigh 7-speed cruiser. I also have a rear-engined Mits on the same bike.

Shawn, unsure if Dave will give you a discount this first time, but on each subsequent purchase he will.

Hmm, what kind of bike are you gonna put the front-drive Mits onto? I have that same kit on my Raleigh 7-speed cruiser. I also have a rear-engined Mits on the same bike.

I have a Fuji crosstown and I would mount it on the rear. Is this kit a front mount kit? I didn't see that. I also have a full suspension bike I am considering using but I'm not sure.
As for the kit, I am considering the chain drive now because I heard they are better on hills and I have quite a few in my area. Might as well spend the extra cash and not have to upgrade later. However I'm kind of intimidated by the sprockets and which one to use.
Any suggestions? I'm lost. Chain drive, friction drive, drive ring...my head is spinning.

Do you know if there are performance parts available for this engine?

Sorry if I mistook the kit for a front drive.

If you intend to upgrade and don't need to have two kits, go for the chain drive. Dave can suggest which sprocket to use for your application. If you leave slack and use a chain tensioner, it's much easier and cheaper to change sprockets on chain drive than it is to change rollers on friction drive.

If you want versatility, go with friction drive, then gear drive. The FD is my ace-in-the-hole which I can slap onto any bike before I commit to the more involved chain drive project.

David did give me a discount on the first order i placed with him,but i think that was due to the fact that i was purchasing 3 engines at the one time.
If u don't have any sort of promotional code ask him for a discount anyway....he can only say no.

Any suggestions? I'm lost. Chain drive, friction drive, drive ring...my head is spinning.

Whoa, slow down there neighbor. :LOL:

We've got some beautiful weather here for a few days now but you know what's coming soon....unless you're heading south....so even if you ordered today with shipping time and mounting it might take a couple weeks at least....just in time to be facing winter.

Chain drive is more efficient. Staton chain drive is bullet proof, a little heavy, and a bit of work to get it mounted right, relative to the particular bike one is using. It costs more.

Friction drive has some limitations......wet surfaces and IMO off-roading not as good. The Staton FD is again, bullet proof, lightweight, and a snap to mount.....one real nice advantage is you can swap to another bike in a half hour. They are pretty sweet, pull hills real well. Cost less.

The Mits engines are very nice, good power, dependable and 2 stroke, so for me, a little raspy.

I have both Mits and Robin engines I swap between Staton and bikemotorparts drives. If you were ever out my way I'd let ya take a spin.

Last edited:
Whoa, slow down there neighbor. :LOL:

We've got some beautiful weather here for a few days now but you know what's coming soon....unless you're heading south....so even if you ordered today with shipping time and mounting it might take a couple weeks at least....just in time to be facing winter.

Chain drive is more efficient. Staton chain drive is bullet proof, a little heavy, and a bit of work to get it mounted right, relative to the particular bike one is using. It costs more.

Friction drive has some limitations......wet surfaces and IMO off-roading not as good. The Staton FD is again, bullet proof, lightweight, and a snap to mount.....one real nice advantage is you can swap to another bike in a half hour. They are pretty sweet, pull hills real well. Cost less.

The Mits engines are very nice, good power, dependable and 2 stroke, so for me, a little raspy.

I have both Mits and Robin engines I swap between Staton and bikemotorparts drives. If you were ever out my way I'd let ya take a spin.

Yeah I know the bad weather is coming, I can't stand it :eek:)
I was thinking building one of these in my house would give me something to do on those cold New England nights when all you can do is dream of the summer. That was when the summer does come, I''' be ready to go.
Thanks for all the good advice from everyone and should I be out in Western Ma or decide to head out there, I'll send you a pm and we can go for a ride.
Any MB's rallys around this area? If not we should plan one.

Back