Commute in low 40s deg F

Yes, they drive me nuts too. To be fair, I've found that at least 9 out of 10 cagers actually do show me a lot of courtesy when I'm dressed and lit up to a high degree of visibility. But there are some who think nothing, it seems, of throwing a very serious threat at our very lives. I have children who actually will miss me a bit if I get killed out there. Most everyone does. And these people can't be bothered to give a matter like that a bit of thought? They ought to be punished for that alone. And when they do kill the law is usually so easy on them it's enough to make you sick. I remember some years ago when a girl ran off the road and killed FOUR bicyclists. Just ran them right down. Her excuse was that she was flipping her cassette tape over. She should have gone to jail for a decent stretch of time and the state should have advertised the fact as a warnign to everyone else to choose better times to do things like flipping a tape.

On the assumption that she's basically a decent human being, I'm willing to bet that she punishes herself everyday. It's been about twenty years now. Does she still have nightmares about it? Probably. But she's almost entirely alone with it. Other than the victim's loved ones and their nightmares. The state should have made an example of her and made sure that the rest of us knew all about it. And they should keep on making examples out of the idiots who refuse to take their responsibilities behind the wheel seriously. It doesn't take much looking to see plenty of examples. And that's a crime in itself.

Carhart is king

I commute at night with the temperatures in the mid 30's and my Carhart jacket keeps me toasty. I also use ****ies brand outerwear but it does not seem as warm as my Carhart. For my legs I wear a pair of thermals with nylon windbreaker pants over them topped off with a pair of levi's jeans. Hands are covered in army surplus wool gloves inside of canvas mittens, which allow me to use all controls safely.

I haven't had to get out my Carhart yet. But that'll probably come soon.

It always kinda feels good to put that on for the first time in the season; tough, good zippers and pockets, excellent wind protection, etc.

well iam back its been a long time i have been here i have been working hard on my bike to make it in the snow or i should say salted roads i do 13 miles one way in under 40 mins. and i make better time then i do in my car/suv the last thing i have to get is my mountain bike tires 26x2.0 things i have done to my mb on this build is hub front brakes dubble walled rims (I HAVE A GOOD WHEEL BUILDER CLOSE TO ME )I ALSO WELDED MY rear sprocket to the rear hub and welded some boss to the frame for my back brakes rain gear i need some googles and helment and ideals guys ?where i can get them and i seen some hand warmers that you can put in your gloves looks like they will work nice for the freezing days / nights ohh yea i also got a 1 gal. tank i only fill up one time in 2 weeks now ...and i think it looks more in scale ..... iam not looking froward to any of this. i been riding a mb nonstop ever since i built it same date i joined here i cant use the white grease in my gear box as it made like a glue and dried out from the heat i have put wheel pacing grease in there now i mixed some trans fluid with it to thin it out a bit very smooth so far ......i love this setup working very well for me one thing that i dont like when it rains i get really stressed out and take a break 1/2 way on my trip most times its hard to see at night good news is i get to work for about 4 bucks every 2 weeks

Masterlink,
I admire you guts. I'll ride in some pretty nasty stuff, but I doubt if I can make it all the way through the winter. Still, I'll be with you part of the way.

I'm using a cheap bicycle helmet that I inherited from my daughter. I cut some foam rubber to fill the air holes in it and spread silicone over them. To hold them in and make them waterproof.

Then I got myself a cheap face shield from a discount tool store. The sort of thing that you'd use in a shop when working a grinder, for instance. I cut the tension adjuster at the rear out and bolted the remaining straps right to the helmet. This gives a full-face shield that can open and close. So far it hasn't been cold enough to need it. But it's inexpensive, easily replaced and will take care of the really cold weather.

haha man i live in P.A i rode my 2 stroke the entire winter. i rode to work in sub zero temps it was so cold my eye lashes froze together but other than the eye thing and riding in the snow it wasnt that bad at all and the engine preformed fine the entire time, always started right up. i gave it a few minutes to warm up and i was off. its all about layering, good gloves, goggles and a mask. i can only imagine what some of the people passing me in cars were saying. the coworkers thought i was crazy lol

Back