Where do you ride? (road, side of road etc.)

Ant27

Local time
3:40 AM
Where do you guys ride on the road when your on your bike? I've heard some people say they ride on the roads because of the little traffic there area has, and others ride on the sides of roads. Where do you prefer?

I prefer the side of the road to ride...

MB is a little too fast for sidewalks and the side of the road still offers room for safe motoring!

I ride near the white line on the right edge, mostly. And I "claim the lane" as they say.
That's a must. They'll squeeze you, if you let them. Where there is a decent shoulder, I'll get on that if traffic is at all heavy. Means I need to slow down a bit, but I figure I should try to be helpful. Where things are crowded I get right out in the middle of the lane and go as fast as possible. I'm not all that slow compared to the autos when there are redlights stopping and starting us. when the road widens out a bit, then I allow myself to be just a little bit slow. As long as the cars have other lanes to work with.

Considering that you are a youngster, I think you'd be wise to show a very co-operative attitude toward traffic. Otherwise the police will view you as a wild teen-ager and hassle you.

Considering that you are a youngster, I think you'd be wise to show a very co-operative attitude toward traffic. Otherwise the police will view you as a wild teen-ager and hassle you.

Yeah that's a good plan. It's very hard to not feel like I'm in the way considering all the cars pass me and go into the other lane a bit while I'm riding on the side of the road (as much as I possibly can). There isn't a shoulder lane on most of the roads I ride on. I need to find the best way to ensure the safety of myself, and the cars that are going into the other lane to pass me on the side. I don't want someone getting in a head-on collision because of a 15 year old on an MB. Any tips for a beginner like me? I searched safety and looked at the tips for the commuter sticky, but I want to get as many tips I can get and what I should look out for. I know I'll get more and more comfortable on the road the more I ride, but in the mean time I want some advice.

I like to ride to the left of the white line (mostly because all of the tire popping road debris is more in the bike lane).

hey ANT

I try to stay in the bike lane
I don't have enough speed to claim the lane

never on sidewalks
never on bicycle trails -- unless motor is off

ride that thing ANT --------------------------------- MM

If there is a shoulder I ride on it. If not, I take a lane. I makes me nervous riding on the side of a lane and cars passing by me inches away. If I take a lane, at least they have to change lanes to pass me. If I am on a busy road with a high speed limit (50 mph and above) I resort to using the sidewalk, or bike path if there is one. If not, then I take a lane. What else can I do?

Ant,

Just a heads up , according to Conn. law you need to be 16yrs old to ride a m.b., hate to hear about you getting fouled up over a couple months or whenever you turn 16.You're rolling the dice.....Peace!

If there is a shoulder I will always ride on it. Unfortunately, where I ride the most there is no shoulder. I just stay as far to the right as possible which is usually just a little left of the white line. If you get on the white line or to the right of it when there is no shoulder the cars don't like to move over as far to go around you and I don't like them that close. Also, as stated earlier there is a lot of debris on the side of the road which could cause a flat.

If you get on the white line or to the right of it when there is no shoulder the cars don't like to move over as far to go around you and I don't like them that close. Also, as stated earlier there is a lot of debris on the side of the road which could cause a flat.

Tell me about it! What are people thinking now days?! They don't get over at all for me when i ride right on the line. It's like they think I am going to ride in a perfectly straight line forever. What if I swerve a few inches? ACCIDENT. People are A-holes now days. I tell you what. My middle finger has been in the air way way way more times on my bike than it ever is when I drive.

Back