GEBE tank replacement & twin tank conversion.

J

JemmaUK

Hi all,

As some of you may know - a while back I managed to drop my bike at speed on one of the local roads when it was extremely wet. I ended up bruised and somewhat battered. The bike needed a new brake lever. It also turned out that it needed a new fuel tank.

These are not the easiest to replace and as I have just done the job I thought I would post a guide.

1. Undo three screws on tank securing them to the motor. Two of these are to the inside toward the mount and a third is on the other side. BE SURE to keep the brass inserts and the spacer from the outside screw.

2. Using a petroil safe container invert the tank carefully and drain the fuel. The usual petrol handling cautions apply at this point. Be careful not to over twist the fuel lines.

3. Remove the fuel feed and return lines from the engine side after removing the aircleaner top panel. The return line can be pulled free. However in the case of the feed line it should be teased off the nipple on the carb.

At this point you should have a free fuel tank disconnected from the machine.

4. Using the container used previously clear the carb of fuel by pumping the primer until it is pumping air.

5. Remove the lines from the fuel tank - be aware that the fuel feed line has a filtered 'clunker' on the end of it so it will have to be removed from the grommet and pulled through from the inside of the tank (and replaced accordingly). The fuel return should be removed in a similar manner.

6. refit the fuel feed and return lines to the new fuel tank making sure that the grommets are fitted and secure (these may require assistance from a suitable tool).

7. reconnect the lines to the carburettor in the relevant positions making sure that they are secure. This is important since if either of them comes free you will have a serious problem.

8. refit the brass inserts to the new tank and mount the spacer to the relevent positions and refit the tank to the motor. DO NOT tighten the screws down until they are all fitted up since this might stress the mountings and cause problems later.

9. Fill tank and check for leaks. If none occur then prime the carb using the priming pump and test run the motor. Give special attention to the joints and grommets on the tank and the connections to the carburettor while the engine is running. If leaks are spotted these must be rectified accordingly.

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Back