Cause of MB Crash Was ?

Mountainman

Local time
10:00 AM
In the hope of saving other MB riders from some of the pain brought to ourselfs and others while involved in accidents either caused by others or ourselfs --

a thread to discuss --

what caused MB accident ?
what happened in MB accident ?
why ?
to avoid - what could have been done ?
error due to person or persons or machine ?

PLEASE -- stories involving MB accidents only...

Hoping to help other MB riders - avoid what has happened to us...

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Last edited:
Hi Mountainman,

A safety thread is never a bad idea. I don't have much to contribute, though.
I've only been motorized since April, 2008. But I'm a lifelong bicyclist. I remember wrecking a bike when I was about 15 yrs old. And I had a slideout at about 30. Took a turn a bit too fast on gravel.

I guess I've got a pretty good safety record. My secret? Don't be in a hurry.

Best of luck to all.

just yesterday

On my to work I was run down by a high school girl while she was talking on her cell phone. She came from behind and took a right turn right in front of me. She ran over my front forks and continued driving to the gas pump. She didn't even know she hit me. My arm is now broke from the fall and my body is all banged up. Luckily the gas station was packed and the were plenty of witnesses but how can you run over someone and not know it. The cops loved my bike, what was left of it, and I loved the fact that I was legal. Anyway I had adjusted my brakes the night before and they were tight, there was nothing I could have done except not ride. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN. You never know who is driving. My bike is trashed for now But I'm already thing of what I'm going to do with my settlement money. OH YEAH!!!

We have no stats, but:

1) Blown tires?
2) Stupid, blind, ignorant, intoxicated people driving cars?
3) Bad brakes?
4) Mechanical failure or engine, frame, etc?
5) Speed too high for conditions?
6) ?????

My only MB crash was from 3 or more years ago when I first motorized my Raleigh MTB with a kings happytime engine. I had the same old brake pads on the bike for god knows how long as I'd owned it since I was about 14. One of my siblings was screwing around with me when I was riding down the road. When we got into danger proximity he started doing the squirrel in the road maneuver rather than just choosing to move to the side of the road and there was no time to stop. I collided with the moron by clipping him with my left handlebar. The bike wheel instantly turned sideways and tacoed as I did the superman and a front flip off the bike. Must have landed a good 15+ feet from meathead and my beaten up bike but I somehow landed on my back with just the right roll to escape without a scratch. The only thing I noticed a few days later were a couple large bruises on my upper theigh. I'm assuming its where I hit the handlebar that sent me into the skin saving front flip rather than a flat catapult.
So, I'm very big on brake maintenance now and slowing down when I sense idiots in the area. Other than this crash I hadn't spilled a bike since I was a lot younger and crazier. The trick is to have the right equipment, maintain the right speed for the conditions, be extremely careful in turns especially tight ones and simply don't push the abilities of yourself and your bike.

ok - wanted to keep this thread clean - to the topic

thinking way back in time
small motor bike I was riding -- pretty darn fast
hit a rut in dirt road -- over the handlebars -- knocked out

now I will also mention a motor cycle crash many years later
once again riding in the dirt - hit cross rut too fast - over the bars - out cold

yes - those ruts in the road -- mean much to me today...

just one more of too many comes to mind
while crossing railroad tracks -- please be careful
learned the hard way
those dang things are slippery -- especially when wet.

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

I have many years of motorcycle experience. Point blank, cagers have their heads everywhere but on the road. These days, it's even worse with people TEXTING WHILE DRIVING!

For MB's, all the hazards of MC's PLUS, chain jams on HT's, or other mechanicals, and, people don't expect 30mph bicycles. SLOW DOWN! All this talk of guys trying to get 40mph, tiny sprokets, nitro methane, turbo chargers, blowers, rocket assist... you are making me nervous. Slow down, enjoy the ride, go slow enuf to show off your unusual machine. People love 'em!

Going too fast while turning at over 20mph while showing off - hit a curb and bent BOTH rims, but I flew over the handlebars and didn't get hurt. I bent the rims back and kept riding. Later that same night, I was arrested by a cop because he mistakenly thought my Motored Bike trailer was me stealing a Pressure Washer while pedaling at 40+ and I was hurt because he threw me on the ground and skinned up my stomach on the road.

Going fast on curve at 30+Mph, looked back at car following too closely behind me because I thought it was a cop, instead it was an old lady with an Impala - I crashed into two sign posts, (which saved me from going in a creek) and hit the road and got cuts and scars on arms and legs, and had to take apart and rebuild carburetor because gas was spilling on the road, bent the front rim, but I'm OK now and still riding the BEAST!

Last edited:
Back