How Many States Allow Motorized Bicycles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan - As far as I can tell

I posted this on another thread called "Laws by state" by mistake.

The State of Michigan's DMV says my MB is classified as a moped in this state. A moped is defined by the State of Michigan as a unit that meets all of the following:

A - The engine does not exceed 50 cc's piston displacement
B - The engine is rated at 2.0 Hp or less
C - The power drive system does not require the operator to shift gears and
D - The top speed is 30 miles per hour or less on a level surface

Michigan requires mopeds to be registered upon purchase and then again every 3 years unless they are used on private property only.

A decal is provided that is to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (This sticker is vertically long and horizontally narrow, so a rear fender, or some sort of way of mounting the sticker is needed. It must be visible to law enforcement.)

That said, the first thing I was missing were OWNERSHIP papers to go with my MB. Once I explained that I'd put the engine on myself, they gave me the paperwork I'll need to get a VIN assigned to my bike. I can't register it, they explain..without a VIN, and they can't issue me a VIN until it's been deemed road worthy.

So starting from a bike and a motor..this is what the DMV says I need to do to get my MB registered and legal on public roads in Michigan:

==-------------------------------------------------------------------==
1. Equip it with the following:

a) Front and rear brakes capable of stopping the vehicle safely CHECK
b) A horn capable of being heard from 200 feet away
c) A rear view mirror (some sources say left side mirror, some say rear view mirror. Left side should cover both bases.)
d) A headlight mounted 24 to 54 inches from ground height powerful enough to illuminate objects 100 feet away
e) A tail light
f) A brake light is
g) A muffler The inspection sheet (more on that in a second) check box says: [] Exhaust system (good working order, no excessive noise or annoying smoke) So I packed my muffler tube with fiberglass screen til I pass inspection just to be safe. CHECK
h) A permanently mounted seat (Apparently my butt doesn't count since the seat has to be permanently mounted to the moped and not the rider.) CHECK
i ) Handlebars which are no higher than 15 inches from the lowest point of the seat to the highest point of the hand grips CHECK

* The items marked CHECK should be on your MB already.

2. Take the vehicle to be inspected by the local police.

The DMV provided me with a green form that has a checklist. They also provided me with a separate piece of paper that has the specific equipment list for mopeds. This is important, because the inspection checklist does NOT have a section for mopeds, so the officer will have to use the motorcycle section. That section lists extra equipment that is NOT required on mopeds. Make sure you make that obvious to the officer. I highlighted only the required moped equipment on the motorcycle checklist with a highlighter so the cop wouldn't be asking me for DOT tires and license plate light. Also there is no VIN, so make sure the officer is aware of the fact that the inspection is for the purpose of issuing a VIN.

==------------------------------------------------------------------==

3. Return the signed inspection sheet to the DMV and apply for a VIN.

Apparently, this is the part that takes the most time. 3 - 5 weeks is what I was told because it has to be done manually. I have no idea what that means, but I'll take their word for it.

4. Once the MB has a VIN, it can be registered and legally ridden by a licensed driver (no motorcycle endorsement required.)

There is a special moped license for people who have no license. The special moped license is NOT available if your license is suspended or revoked.

You will receive a large sticker that is to be displayed on the back of your MB. It will expire April 30 of the year displayed on the sticker.

No insurance is required.

No helmet is required for riders over the age of 19.

So far I'm still equipping the bike out. I only just got her 4 days ago. Just need to build a decent brake light system and buy a mirror and I should be good to go. I did manage to get all of these forms and information from the DMV. They weren't REAL familiar withthe process, but they were reasonably friendly about it.

I'll let everyone know how my journey through the red tape goes.

daf

(meant as humorous)
Requirements for having an MAB east of the Mississippi:
a) Move west of the Mississippi.

Technically, NoPed, they fall under the definition of a motorcycle -- "a two-wheeled motorized vehicle", or somethin' like that.

A cop could write you a ticket if he really wanted. What he meant to say is that he had no issue with them, probly because you were riding responsibly.

I got a ticket for no helmet and no headlight. I could have gotten out of both of them, because the judge was more or less perplexed... but I just didn't have the fight in me that day, just wanted a dropped helmet charge, which I got without needing to say a word to the judge.

Attorney General is on our side, check opinion no. 2007-00602 and opinion no. 2011-00095.

The question in 2007-00602 pertained to electric bikes only but the language in his response made no indication that it didn't apply to gas bikes. No mention of motor type was made in 2011-00095.

There's nothing stopping a cop from writing you a ticket for it though, but when it comes time for your court session the charges will likely be dropped. Not a whole lot of judges will go against the Attorney General's opinion.

Also, 63-7-13 and 63-7-31 both mention something called a "motor driven cycle" (Though I wouldn't use it as a defense, the language is vague and makes it sound like "motor driven cycle" is a motor vehicle. It's probably meant to be a catchall for scooters and mopeds and trikes and other things you wouldn't normally call a motorcycle even though it is.) 63-7-51 mentions a "bicycle with a motor attached" and includes no language implying or construable as it being motor vehicle. It should be noted that since the code applies to all vehicles that use Mississippi roads (including cars, motorcycles, bicycles, unicycles, quikes, mighty wheels, etc.) it shouldn't be construed as being a motor vehicle for being in the same sections as motor vehicles.

The verdict: completely legal in Mississippi, with no restrictions on top speed or engine displacement. Going without pedals is still iffy but I'd rather keep my pedals anyway. Motorized bicycles are just regular old bicycles as far as anyone here cares. All it requires is a headlight and brakes.

As for your ticket for no helmet, there's no law requiring you to wear one here. You wouldn't even have to beg your way out of it, since going helmetless isn't illegal unless you're on a motorcycle.

Last edited:
What about liability insurance in Ms it is required for cars and trucks. I'm hoping it's not needed.

In ny you do not need insurance if you keep it under 30mph your 49cc would have to be pretty worked up to get over 30 anyhow.
if your trying to be legal about it.

Good to know; i'm just not gonna worry bout it this year and enjoy the ride!

What about liability insurance in Ms it is required for cars and trucks. I'm hoping it's not needed.

Not required, but you MUST have pedals. You MUST have brakes. And you MUST have a headlight if you ride at night.

Cops might give you trouble because they're confused, but just go to the law library and look thru the Annotated Code of Mississippi. You can't find this version of the Mississippi Code anywhere but in a law library (county courthouse, etc.). Then take out Title 63 (Motor Vehicles) and look for the section on "Brakes". Inside you will find an Attorney General's Opinion which is as good as law, stating that since a "bicycle with motor attached" is explicitly mentioned in that one section (and all bicycles are mentioned in the lighting section), then it is separate and distinct from a motorcycle.

Happy riding!! :cool:

I posted this on another thread called "Laws by state" by mistake.

The State of Michigan's DMV says my MB is classified as a moped in this state. A moped is defined by the State of Michigan as a unit that meets all of the following:

A - The engine does not exceed 50 cc's piston displacement
B - The engine is rated at 2.0 Hp or less
C - The power drive system does not require the operator to shift gears and
D - The top speed is 30 miles per hour or less on a level surface

Michigan requires mopeds to be registered upon purchase and then again every 3 years unless they are used on private property only.

A decal is provided that is to be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (This sticker is vertically long and horizontally narrow, so a rear fender, or some sort of way of mounting the sticker is needed. It must be visible to law enforcement.)

That said, the first thing I was missing were OWNERSHIP papers to go with my MB. Once I explained that I'd put the engine on myself, they gave me the paperwork I'll need to get a VIN assigned to my bike. I can't register it, they explain..without a VIN, and they can't issue me a VIN until it's been deemed road worthy.

So starting from a bike and a motor..this is what the DMV says I need to do to get my MB registered and legal on public roads in Michigan:

1. Equip it with the following:

a) Front and rear brakes capable of stopping the vehicle safely CHECK
b) A horn capable of being heard from 200 feet away
c) A rear view mirror (some sources say left side mirror, some say rear view mirror. Left side should cover both bases.)
d) A headlight mounted 24 to 54 inches from ground height powerful enough to illuminate objects 100 feet away
e) A tail light
f) A brake light is
g) A muffler The inspection sheet (more on that in a second) check box says: [] Exhaust system (good working order, no excessive noise or annoying smoke) So I packed my muffler tube with fiberglass screen til I pass inspection just to be safe. CHECK
h) A permanently mounted seat (Apparently my butt doesn't count since the seat has to be permanently mounted to the moped and not the rider.) CHECK
i ) Handlebars which are no higher than 15 inches from the lowest point of the seat to the highest point of the hand grips CHECK

* The items marked CHECK should be on your MB already.

2. Take the vehicle to be inspected by the local police.

The DMV provided me with a green form that has a checklist. They also provided me with a separate piece of paper that has the specific equipment list for mopeds. This is important, because the inspection checklist does NOT have a section for mopeds, so the officer will have to use the motorcycle section. That section lists extra equipment that is NOT required on mopeds. Make sure you make that obvious to the officer. I highlighted only the required moped equipment on the motorcycle checklist with a highlighter so the cop wouldn't be asking me for DOT tires and license plate light. Also there is no VIN, so make sure the officer is aware of the fact that the inspection is for the purpose of issuing a VIN.

3. Return the signed inspection sheet to the DMV and apply for a VIN.

Apparently, this is the part that takes the most time. 3 - 5 weeks is what I was told because it has to be done manually. I have no idea what that means, but I'll take their word for it.

4. Once the MB has a VIN, it can be registered and legally ridden by a licensed driver (no motorcycle endorsement required.)

There is a special moped license for people who have no license. The special moped license is NOT available if your license is suspended or revoked.

You will receive a large sticker that is to be displayed on the back of your MB. It will expire April 30 of the year displayed on the sticker.

No insurance is required.

No helmet is required for riders over the age of 19.

So far I'm still equipping the bike out. I only just got her 4 days ago. Just need to build a decent brake light system and buy a mirror and I should be good to go. I did manage to get all of these forms and information from the DMV. They weren't REAL familiar withthe process, but they were reasonably friendly about it.

I'll let everyone know how my journey through the red tape goes.

daf

daf is right about Michigan laws this is a quote from my post i did on here ,took a while as a few people and police did not know the law until a member on here told me what to do ,((((Ok after 4 long months 3 visits by police 3 visits to secretary of state , 2 hours waiting ,and 30 mins sorting it out,and $37 later finally got my ASSEMBLED MOPED sticker for 3 years , now i got piece of mind when i out on the bike))))

Where can I find this iformation ??

In ny you do not need insurance if you keep it under 30mph your 49cc would have to be pretty worked up to get over 30 anyhow.
if your trying to be legal about it.

Batttery, where did you find this information ?? I have been interested in doing an MB, but have been told by Albany that no MB's were allowed, except as approved by DMV from a manufacturer; no DIY MB's were allowed at all, either gas or electric. Can you assist ?? Thanks and much
appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back