Pedal? , crank? problem

LaMorte

Local time
7:13 AM
Hi,
I have a cruiser, chain brake, motorized bike. Lately when I begin to pedal with some oomph to get started the pedals slip and move forward about 1/8 revolution, catch a little then slip again. There is nothing wrong with the actual pedals that the feet go on, rather the action of pedaling.

Here is a photo of the bike so you can see what I have.

Sorry if this question is also in another forum, I tried searching for my issue a few times, but not luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.:eek:

chain slip?

sounds like either the chain is slipping out of the front "chainwheel" or slipping out of the rear cog. Is this an internal 3-speed that could be failing?

It could be a cheap chain or the chain is not tight enough or the wrong sized chain for the size of the sprockets. I see the bike has horizontal dropouts so make sure everything is tight (both chains).

So this is when you are starting the engine? Sounds like the clutch is slipping.

Or just pedaling with the clutch in?

Well it happens when I am trying to start the engine and just when I am using the bike without the clutch engaged. Today it was really slipping much more, almost 1/2 revolution while I try to pedal. At times it was hard to get the bike to move, and when I engaged the clutch, I couldn't get enough power in the pedaling to even get it to turn over. I hope I am explaining this well-- when I pedal with force it feels like the "pedal" just slides forward and doesn't engage the chain. It is a one speed bike and all the chains seem taught they way they should.

sorry, but if the chain is not slipping over the tops of the teeth then it sounds like your freehub or single speed cassette is fried (read rachete mechanism). beauty of a build btw.

yeah the bottom bracket is exactly where it feels to be slipping-- I bet I should take off the pedal thing-- can you tell I'm not a gear head? I really appreciate everybody's thoughts on this.

THanks so much!

yeah the bottom bracket is exactly where it feels to be slipping-- I bet I should take off the pedal thing-- can you tell I'm not a gear head? I really appreciate everybody's thoughts on this.

THanks so much!

okay, that doesn't make any any sense to me. All the bottom bracket does is slip. if you remove the chain, the pedals and crank should just spin.

I want you to check something for me. how far into the front sprocket does the chain sit? are the teeth centered between each link?

I need to know more about the rear sprocket and the same questions apply to the rear.

you may think the chain is tight enough but it's too loose if the your getting tooth skipping.

Okay, I just thought about this. How is the front sprocket connected to the crank (1 piece?) is the sprocket in a knotch on the crank? is there a nut that tightens the sprocket against the crank?

BB

To get the crank out of the bottom bracket you'll need a special tool...

search ebay and you'll find lots of them.. (Bottom bracket tool)

a warning- if you don't like grease, you won't like doing this repair... If your bearings are shot- your gonna have greasy ball bearings falling all over the place.

Take apart your coaster break hub and check for damage. Sounds like you need a rebuild- the proble in not in the bottom bracket.

Back