Crash!!!

J

JemmaUK

Well - that was fun..

Just got back from taking the bike to the shop - originally for a single busted spoke. Was coming down my road towards a major roundabout and holding a slow speed because of the spoke on the wheel being busted - so about 28mph.. pulled the front brake and the bike just dropped on me.

I landed on my hand, hip and elbow... the bike landed on the right hand side brakelever; of which the adjustment knurlwheel is now pancake shaped, and the mounting cracked completely in half and scratched up the fuel filler cap a little... basically the bike landed on me which saved damaging it.. :eek:

The reason - Jemma forgot an important fact - when you havent had rain for over a month and you get a massive storm - the roads will be greasy. In that situation you use the back brake - not the front! I have gotten into bad habits. I think that is the problem with the coaster brake set up for me - being used to the hand brakes I forget the coaster is there alot of the time...

The damage - about £30 of repairs - and amazingly a bruise on my thigh which will be a nice shade of purple come tomorrow - I was wearing a denim jacket for some reason today.. and thats not even damaged. If it had been a dry road i suspect it would have been a much different matter..

Moral of the story - read the road, dont use the brakes unless you have to and try and be smooth when you do..

Jemma xx

Last edited by a moderator:
any crash u can walk away from is a good one, in my youth i had a headon with a car, the od thing is i only had a bruse, the car needed 3000$ in repaires, oops did i forget to mention that it was a drivers ed car the poor kid behind the wheel was more afraid than i was. thank god for the pasenger side brake pedel.

Im just pleased I was wearing the denim at the time - if I hadnt have been I would have a arm sans skin for most of its length...

what did you hit the learner car with then? you were riding a bike? must have been some bike.

We had a kid I went to school with hit our car once. we were turning right into the drive of the house and he tried to overtake on the right.. crushed his car between the safrane and the kerb and actually bent the chassis on his car. Girl in the passenger seat of the other car we almost had to prise out she was so scared by the accident. but then again Glen was always an idiot and probably still is. wrecked the front suspension on the safrane and didnt do the gearbox/final drive any favours either since it was FWD and the wheel took all of the shock and drove the driveshaft up the gearbox... to quote corporal jones... "they dont like it up 'em" lol

Jemma xx

glad you're ok! i had a very close call with a coaster brake, & kill switch. my throttle had stuck, going down a hill, pulling a loaded trailer.i could'nt take my hand off the handle , to turn off the engine, my kill switch had been moved to under my gas tank, by my cdi. so when i clutch it my motor it's wide open, i feared i would blow my engine. to top it all off my coaster almost threw my ace off the bike, no brakes either! so i start thinking about the best way to hit the road, or should i jump? right about this time the bicycle gods smiled on me, cause for no apparent reason my engine died.. i stopped, & fixed the throttle problem, & very carefully made my way home with no brakes! i made up a name for my adventure, i call it (running with the bikes) cause i felt like i was running with the bulls. & with the coaster brake, (bad brake dancing). i have since fixed all these things, & added a front brake.something like this will for sure wake you up. at least it did me.

Glad you are okay Jemma. Funny how an accident like that feels like it is running in slow motion. Front wheel skids, and for that matter any form of losing control, is not fun. All you can do is learn from it and go on.

Jemma i WAS RIDIN A MURRY 10 BAJA my dad still has the bike though it is now disasembaled, the bike took no damage in the wreck, or through any of my mis adventures. i also t-boned a cop car with it(that will teach him for trying to lay a speed trap.) If it werent for weak accesories, i would most likley still be riding it.

WOW, amazing run of misfortune. glad you weren't seriously damaged although that bruise is probably going to be pretty touchy tomorrow.

we're pulling for you,

steve

WOW, amazing run of misfortune. glad you weren't seriously damaged although that bruise is probably going to be pretty touchy tomorrow.

we're pulling for you,

steve

It already is - along with my right shoulder and knee - right elbow and right hand... the bike was amazingly undamaged.

Weird thing with the pipe I have. All the way through the range the bike is much much more powerful.. yet top speed is identical. It must be coming on the pipe to gain me the power in the rest of the range - but why no more top end... flat out speed is still 34.

Jemma xx

Back