State Motorized Trail for Motorized Bikes

bumwaiter

Local time
12:57 PM
Are the trail conditions on the State Motorized Bike Trail system in good enough condition for mountain bikes with GEBE motors?

I want to ride from San Francisco to Prescott, Arizona to get back to college. I reckon I could bang out 100 miles a day easily, but am debating whether or not to utilize the motorized trail route that could take me from Yosemite to Joshua tree.

Any thoughts, am I a crazed motorized bafoon? Any tips...? Warnings?

Hi bumwaiter -- we would like to know more -- could we get some information regarding trails for MBs.. Living here in Calif - thought that ALL BICYCLE TRAILS WERE OUT OF BOUNDS FOR MBs - at least while the motor is running.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Mountain Bikes are not allowed in Wilderness areas. If the trails are in Wilderness areas it's illegal. Motorized may not be allowed on any hiking trail. There is a system in place for trail etiquette where bike riders yield to both hikers and horseback riders and hikers yield to horseback riders. However, for all trail users, downhill yields to uphill. Don't know if this is national or just for Arizona but it makes sense.

I think you would be better off using small country roads so you aren't totally isolated in case something happens mechanically or medically in case of a wreck?.

I always cut off my motor when I enter walking/biking trails and just pedal so people don't call the police.

Curious old thread from the wayback machine, not sure if it was just a lark or not but the bit about the State Motorized Bike Trail System is funny. Anyway seeing the names of all those old members is a hoot. Wonder where they all went off to?

Back