Felt MP

heres my mock up. i strung a line from the drive spindle to the rear wheel spindle to see the chain line.....its about an eigth inch or little less. i didnt work on it today tho, i took on another little project at work (see pic).

i am building a cradle, tubular frame, for the engine exhaust cone you see behind it. that wood pallet isnt doing justice.

Im considering molding a gas tank in fiberglass to fit over the top tube.....thinking in the shape of bobbed tanks like on harleys, but proportioned to bike.....thinking of doing a cafe tank too....cant seem to get answers on where to find a tank like the ones on those derringer bikes......no answers......make one.....wonder if it would sell????......real question would be if anyone would buy....hehehe....we'lll see.

grez

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 955
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,174
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 746
i tried to search for those tanks, but no dice. i see one for motorcycles and they run 400 plus. metal are even more.

i know they can chrome plastics now, so thats an idea. but look at these........that bmw cafe boxer....oh man.....just squint and imagine a bike version......see it????......i do.

grez

Attachments

• u-beemer.jpg
    u-beemer.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 660
  • 523.jpg
    523.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 881
Back to you Grez

hey keith

wonder what u are getting for MPG, its a heavy bike.

hey u repainted after the weld. did u use something from felt or OD green from some surplus?

Hi Grez, I am sure I am not getting 100mpg really checking my mileage is one of the things I need to do. Another is to actually weigh my bike. I just added a license plate holder to the rear rack.

Oh paint, I wanted a paint that I could match without costing and arm and a leg so I basically repainted the bike with Krylon Ultra-flat camo paint from Walmart. I went ahead and repainted my rims to match.

Cheers,

Keith

keith, did u repaint the whole bike? just curious if that paint u got matched at all with the original. is there original paint on the racks? or u hit that too?

i couldnt guess what mpg i will get. its a heavy bike. i have a scale to weight it with, will wait till its all together, no sense now. maybe i can lose a few pounds too by then, HA ....

oh yeah......did u need to change the crank on your MP to clear the motor when u pedal?

grez

DEEP DEEP TROUBLE.....HELP!!!.....was mounting the rear wheel sprocket the the rear spokes.....had to remove support arm for 3 speed shimano hub thats on the wheel to fit the spocket over.....no problems till i tried to return the cone nut for the hub....i bent the retainer ring for the bearing that the cone rides on.....OOOOPS!!!.....i cant find the bearing and retainer ring online to replace.....its got 8 ball bearings, 5mm each and a the retainer, out side diameter of ring is 25mm........does anyone know where i can find a replacement.......its a shimano 3 speed....GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

i will post pic in a little bit.....man....aint that a BIG ITCH!!!!

grez

found the part number for the bearing. Y-33r 90210, anyone know were i can order shimano parts????.... will start calling monday i guess.

so far, i got a one piece wide crank to replace original. it misses the engine cover and gearbox cover by 1/4 inch on both sides. with the motor in this position i hit the rear tire with the chain. i tried to shim out the rear sprocket to the left with washers, when i bent the bearing retainer...grrr....i took off the motor cover to see whats behind and saw the blower fan. i still wish there was a way to remove it completely...hough i know the cooling thing u always mention, but.....looks, man....looks.

i might have to go with a 3 piece crank after all....would give me a bit more room to play with the motor and chain....plus i need to look up a spring tensioner for slack. hope tractor supply got them back in stock.

replaced the gearbox cover i got from bike engines, THANK YOU.....kit had a bad bearing.

has anyone attempted to move the drive gear on a grubee gearbox, closer to the housing to gain some chain clearence??? might have to remove that gear and see if it will push further in towards the gear housing.

slowly but surely......

grez

I Felt for you

keith, did u repaint the whole bike? just curious if that paint u got matched at all with the original. is there original paint on the racks? or u hit that too?

i couldnt guess what mpg i will get. its a heavy bike. i have a scale to weight it with, will wait till its all together, no sense now. maybe i can lose a few pounds too by then, HA ....

oh yeah......did u need to change the crank on your MP to clear the motor when u pedal?

grez

Hi Grez,

Yes I did repaint the whole bike including the racks, of course the wheel rims were a little tedious, but not too bad. I had made some welding modifications on the racks to hang the bags, so, I needed to repaint them anyway. I was able to use the stock crank with my bike since the 2 stroke is a narrow engine. Today, I am working on replacing the front fender hanger, it broke, probably due to vibration. I also made a new clamp for the front brake arm which I like a lot better than the one I rigged before. I also am going to try to weigh the bike and see how far I get on a cup of fuel. Ah, the trials and tribulations of motor bike building. I came to think of it as a puzzle to solve, one piece at a time. As I read your last 2 posts, I felt for you. :D Keep us posted and good luck,

Keith

grez

Hey Grez,

Back to you with some specifications on my Felt MP bike.

Weight, full fuel and tools on board = 88.6 lbs

Fuel tank capacity .57 Gallons

Miles per gallon, (actual mileage test level ground, 20 mph), 132.8 mpg

Miles per tank = 75 miles

The mileage really surprised me, for some reason I was expecting less than 100 mpg. It will be interesting to see how your weight and mpg compares.

Good day,

Keith

Attachments

• DSCF0332.jpg
    DSCF0332.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,818
Still waiting for the hub bearing i messed up, so i started on the handle bar controls. got the controls mounted and routed the cables to motor.

I am trying to figure out how to work out the throttle link to the carb. i searched in here for info, got good info, but was wondering if guys running the honda gxh50 have close up pics of the cable link.

i was considering mounting a link arm to the plastic throttle lever, but worried the plastic wont hold up to abuse for too long. now i am considering making a bracket of some sort above the plastic lever that mounts to the carb mounts and setting a swivel on the bracket that will connect to the plastic lever to control movement without putting stress on the plastic lever. i just havent figured out how i want to position springs and link connections.

can anyone help out with close up pics of your throttle links???

thanks in advance, i will have to put up some pics, but theres really not much to look at now....its all in pieces.

grez

Back