Tips I've learned from many builds-great newbie read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish someone had these tips when I started building these several years ago. All of these were learned the hard way.

Ozi, I love your HT torque specs, that is exactly what I use for mine.

you might make some people crazy searching for those pins in the ring grooves. mine doesent have any. otherwise its a very comprehensive list. mitch

you might make some people crazy searching for those pins in the ring grooves. mine doesent have any. otherwise its a very comprehensive list. mitch

Mitch,
Thanks for the headsup. I incorrectly assumed every HT engine had these "pins" on the piston ring grooves. What engine do you have?

It's a good list. Now I've just gotta follow it. I'll get around to it sooner or later.

Hopefully sooner :)

The only thing I would have added is the hex head bolt to hold the exhaust together, but you beat me to it.

The stock bolt was so frustrating. My exhaust fell apart more times than I can say. Once ruined a perfectly good tire when I ran over the hot exhaust guts.

Wow, I didn't realize that could happen. Did your tire blow when that occured? I'd hate to think what could happen at speed.

Hey skyliner70
I have thought of changing my oil fuel ratio. At the moment I run 20-1, but I have had friends say that's too much. I was thinking of about 30-1.
I have a 48cc ht motor

When you say it's too much for a bearing motor. I think mine has a brass bush at the bottom of the conrod arm. I was told when I brought it, it was one of the older skystar motors. Does that change anything?? I would like to lighten up the ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bushing engine changes everything and you should run the factory ratio. I would consider a lower amount of oil in your engine only if you switched to a mix that contained some castor in it. maxima 927 or Klotz supertechniplate come to mind.

Model airplane engines with bushing bearings last longer with castor in their mix than in fuels that have straight synthetic oil.

A bottom bushing bearing usually gets hit with more fuel/oil because the fuel is drawn in via the crankcase area and might fair ok with less oil. However, an upper wrist pin bushing for sure will not tolerate less oil unless you consider some castor.

adding to list

Thats a great list
one of the additional things to maybe watch for is that the engine metal is a low quality so when using the better quality allthread it may still be possible to strip a tapped hole I am trial fitting everything before i replace the threads with USA metal and then i am going to install it with JB weld if i do have to remove any studs its easy to grind them off then drill out the JB weld.
Roy

I've been fortunate and haven't had this occur except on headbolt stud holes. As a result, each one now gets JB welded.

30. Fuel tank: put gravel in tank before install and shake too loosen rust. Rinse and repeat as necessary. There is lots of rust and crud in many new tanks. Some folks will seal the inside of tank...a good idea. Rinse well if you use gravel to get dirt and particles out.

I put bb's and some gas in the tank and shake. i prefer bb's because you don't need to rinse as much and you can use a magnet to get them out if you need to.
And if you're lazy you can put the tank in a cement mixer instead of shaking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back