Engine turns, but only while peddling

KoozyK

Local time
7:10 AM
So, I finally got my dax 70cc engine mounted to my moondog, and i'm having some questions/concerns.

1) do i really have to hold in the clutch if i want to just peddle? seems odd...

2) the process of me starting the bike is like this:
a) hold clutch
b) start peddling/riding normal
c) let go of clutch and keep peddling
d) engine turns, but i have to keep peddling for it to keep turning. once i stop peddling, engine dies.
e) throttle does nothing
f) what's wrong?

You must peddle until the engine takes over. You'll know when this happens, trust me. You can try twisting the throttle to give the engine a little extra gas.

You must peddle until the engine takes over. You'll know when this happens, trust me. You can try twisting the throttle to give the engine a little extra gas.
i peddled for a while and it never "took over." I tried turning the throttle, but it didn't make the engine rev or anything...

spark plug wire hooked up properly, and getting spark ? ? Fuel getting into the carb ?
Choke on ?
Prime the carb first ? (press that button a few times)

Are you sure that the motor is turning over fast enough? If it isn't it's your clutch.

kill the kill switch
kill switch isn't wired in yet.
spark plug wire hooked up properly, and getting spark ? ? Fuel getting into the carb ?
Choke on ?
Prime the carb first ? (press that button a few times)
The cdi is wired to the engine black-black. blue-blue. the cap is sitting firmly on the plug. how do you tell if it's sparking?

choke is open all the way

tried pressing the button to prime. same deal.
Are you sure that the motor is turning over fast enough? If it isn't it's your clutch.
clutch is ok, i think. it loosk like other people's pictures. when i'm holding it, i can ride it fine like a normal bike. when i let it go, it locks and i'm physically turning the engine while it putters. then it dies when i stop peddling. no throttling or anything.

Try using your choke a bit. To check for spark remove the plug and ground it against the frame, then turn the engine over.

BSA

i have a friend who is a bit of a wiz with these things. he looked at it and tried changing the carborator which fixed the problem. while he was at it, he game me a different throttle which looks better than the cheap one from dax.

only bad thing is that after he started it, the chain tensioner got stuck in the tire and broke a spoke.

thanks for the help everyone.

Back