Wheels Love Hate Relationship [wheel bearings]

Marktur

Local time
3:32 PM
Well...just got in...I just picked up the bike from the bike shop, I was going to have springers installed, but silly me didn't realize that I would lose the front brakes in the process. OK, leave it stock. Hard ride. I can live with that.

Then on the way home, I thought I had a rear flat again, because I felt the rear end shifting from side to side again...but it was not flat...so I get back on and ride a bit more, but it's bugging me.

I pull over, and realize that with my hand, I can shift the rear tire from side to side about 1/4", but everything's tight (bolts that hold the wheel on. On closer inspection, I'm guessing that I have to replace bearings.

Woo-hoo. First, I don't know how to do that, second how much more money will I have to keep spending to make this bike reliable.

Should've bought a scooter, and kicking myself.
I don't know what to do now...

I just had my bearings go also, well not the bearings but the cage the bearings are in. Maybe 200 miles. I got new bearings (in the cages) and took the bearings out. You use more bearings but I had extras. The bearings were $6.00 I think. The bad part I had to buya tool to take the cassette off, another $7.00.............

There are some great videos on youtube. I had to watch one to see how the cassette was removed to get to that sides bearings.....

Last edited:
OK, I really want to be happy with this bike.

How often would one expect to have this happen?

Dave/Mister - can I/should I tighten the cones without having to take everything apart?
What exactly should I look for? It's a brand new bike with maybe 350 miles on it...2 months old...would I need to re-grease it?

Can you point me to a place where I can buy the items to do the job? (And let me know what you got or what I should get?)

Do you guys think it's safe to ride another 4 miles back to the bike shop and let them do it? If this is not a regular maintenance thing, then I'm happy to let them do it...but if it will need to be done more frequently than say yearly, then I'll invest in the tools I guess.

It's not a money thing - I can afford the tools and parts - it's the reliability and safety factor getting me down.

I've had about 1 month of happy times...the month before was miserable with the flat tires...I've already invested like $600 in parts and "stuff", and I'm still working on making the bike more comfortable (suspension).

Maybe I should look for a better bike? Does anyone know of a nice cruiser or comfort bike with the shocks (at least front and seatpost/rear shocks) that will fit the HT in a frame mounted setup? I stopped riding mtn bikes because riding in the leaning over position has damaged my back big time (I used to ride at least 10 miles a day - on and off road). My lowest disk next to my tailbone has gone down from about 3" to 1", and I don't want to make it worse. That's why suspension is so important to me.

Thanks for the help guys...I had a fleeting moment thinking about a scooter and motorcycle again, but I really just want that type of reliability with the bike. Yes, I know I'm running an HT motor, but it runs good and I'm not using it for racing, so I think I can label it "dependable" for now.

Cya
Mark

The bike shop should be able to help you with the tools. Possibly the cone is loose, but I would take it off and look at the bearings. Mine was just the motor side bearings, but since I was removing the bearings from the cages I did both sides at the same time. The one tool I would invest in is the cone wrench, that way you can adjust them without taking the wheel off. You have to realize that the bicycles are not meant to go 25 mph, and the torque in the motor side puts strain on the bearings. I would say this is a maintenance thing, grease bearings and check them on occasion like all the nuts and bolts get checked, just not as often.

Safety 1st....hand this one off to the experts.

I would let the bike shop fix it up for ya. you could remove the wheel and take it to them, if need be. ( I would ride it to the shop...if it were me....slowly...lol)

honestly...I have been looking at scooters.
It would be nice to show up, someplace, once in a while, knowing I won't have greasy hands!!
have you looked at the Honda Ruckus? Now that's one tough looking little bike. Vespa is my #2 pick.

*I have no problem with greasy hands, for the most part....people who know me, expect it!* :LOL:

I could move this discussion to the Bicycle repair forum & try to get you some mechanical help....your call.

You have to realize that the bicycles are not meant to go 25 mph, and the torque in the motor side puts strain on the bearings. I would say this is a maintenance thing, grease bearings and check them on occasion like all the nuts and bolts get checked, just not as often.

good point.....same goes for the front wheel too.

I checked my front wheel when I did the back Dave. It seemed good so I just applied some more grease. I MIGHT have tightened the rear cone too tight when I originally greased it. The front is so easy to check cause you can lift it off the ground and freewheel it, but with the rear, and the motor chain it is a little more difficult, so I just grab hold of it before a ride and wiggle it and if it moves time to check cone....

Back