I'm really not sure why people think there is any "gray area."

TECHNICALLY, to operate a motorized bicycle, we need:

-An M2 license
-Lights/signals
-Brakes on BOTH wheels
-Mirror
-Horn
-Etc

http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us/government/departments/pd/traffic/alternative_vehicle.cfm

...there are loopholes for a couple of things on that list from the link above; I have a CVC book and I will see what else I can find out about fighting/contesting a few of those items. But by and large, they consider us Mopeds, and we have to abide by all of the same rules...no matter how stupid they are.

...do I care? Nope. lol. I'll risk the ticket.

Last edited:
Huntington Beach -- asking for more than Calif laws

I'm really not sure why people think there is any "gray area."

in Huntington Beach -- one grey area noted -- not the same as Calif laws
looks like HBeach requires Dot tires to be used on a motorized bicycles ???
The State of Calif does not require Dot tires....
from what we hear -- Dot tires ((are not available for bicycle)) sizes ???
Calif laws -- horn, brake lights -- also not mentioned -- not required

when these Cities come in and over ride the State MB laws
doesn't really seem right -- and -- does make for possible troubles

Iam legal when I ride in my town -- Lakeside, Ca.
but when I go to the next towns over -- El Cajon, La Mesa -- they prohibit MBs
so I was told -- young man had his HT impounded in El Cajon

to be noted -- Calif at this time has some of the most friendly motor bike laws.......

ride the motor bike

Last edited:
No, you don't get it.

It's not that HB has separate requirements - it's STATE-WIDE VEHICLE CODE! They cannot change state-wide laws!

These are police officers...not lawyers. They do not know each and every CVC section inside and out. The confusion comes when either some departments are not aware of a certain code so their officers do not enforce it, OR when some departments interpret a certain CVC differently or incorrectly...which is probably the case here.

You don't need to worry about things like "DOT tires." The question the OP raised was about licensing - and the answer is clearly yes, you need an M2 license to operate motorbikes. A regular traffic officer is NOT going to look for a DOT stamp on your BICYCLE tires. Last time I checked, there's no such thing. lol. I think they are mis-interpreting this section of the CVC. I've done a ton of research and 26-inch DOT approved tires do not exist, that I can find. This would mean in court that the law was clearly not written for motorbikes, so it would not apply.

It's not that HB has separate requirements - it's STATE-WIDE VEHICLE CODE! They cannot change state-wide laws!

You are partially correct, they cannot change state-wide laws. ERGO they cannot make them more lenient. However each and every city at their whim can make them more strict. That is and will always be the case.

Last edited:
Iam legal when I ride in my town -- Lakeside, Ca.
but when I go to the next towns over -- El Cajon, La Mesa -- they prohibit MBs
so I was told -- young man had his HT impounded in El Cajon

Have you checked Lexis nexis for the actual municipal codes?
http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/

Often, cops will say it's outlawed in their town, but there is NOTHING on the
municipal code. I love reading thru each cities code , and there's a search function....

I could not even imagine that if you have a CA state motorized bicycle plate,
wearing a helmet, following the LAWS that they would impound our bike. That's insane.
I am willing to bet this young man was not following the laws that most folks tend to ignore.

I just checked La Mesa code, there is NOTHING about MBs....

Last edited:
You are partially correct, they cannot change state-wide laws. ERGO they cannot make them more lenient. However each and every city at their whim can make them more strict. That is and will always be the case.

But they cannot cite you based on a certain CVC if the vehicle is not covered by that code.

That would be like writing you up for a Speeding ticket if your offense was "Unsafe Lane Change." If you fought it, you would win.

That's what they seem to be doing based on a couple CVC posts on their website regarding motorbikes - they are trying to improperly apply a law that does not apply to motorbikes.

They have not written any new city ordnance about motorbikes...yet. But HB is notorious for hassling people for basically no reason (down on Main St near the pier), so who knows. it may not be far off.

ride the motor bike anyway !!

However each and every city at their whim can make them more strict. That is and will always be the case.

that's the impression that I got -- each City can add to the State Laws
it's been pointed out serveral times where
Cities, college towns etc have added more to the laws

I went to the La Mesa site -- put in motorized bicycles -- nothing seemed to come up ??

ride the motor bike anyway !!

Back