Wear a helmet, use lights at night and you will never get stopped or hasseled

Most cops don't have a clue about laws governing motorized or
electric bicycles.

Mountainman has been riding around without a license in CA on
a $400 Staton Subaru Robbin 4 stroke friction drive kit without
getting in trouble so far.

those elect MBs --- ARE LEGAL
no pooolice man or lady is going to be worrying about how many
WATTs you got under you seat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON NOW ------ Ride That Thing

bottom line - regarding my MB (gas) riding of without license
so far - that's true

one close call to date
when the pooolice man drove by at a slow speed
he just stared for a short while at my Calif motorized bicycle plate

when I first started looking into all of the legal issues regarding MBs
I didn't know much
Mike did fill me in with good information
but - not having a license - I didn't want to hear that
didn't take much searching around before I found
two law enforcement agencies that have stated
I can ride under 2 hp MB without a drivers license
yes - I carry these papers with me
will they help if pulled over -- I don't know
were they correct in their written statements --
I don't think so........

as I have also posted before
I found out that if I call DMV enough times regarding MBs questions
befor long I received the answer I was hoping for ---
that's what I would call a slight grey area
doesn't make it right when caught though !!!
I should have asked that sweet little lady at DMV
to please send me a statement
then I would probably have three that were incorrect !!

I am just going to Ride That Thing Mountainman

tired of fighting the rain and wind

As far as I can tell the cops here are pretty laid back. This is the MJ capital of the USA aftter all. They probably woudln't jack with me but i'm trying to get my sh<>t together as far as the law is concerned. I'm a cook and i have to be at work at 4:00 am which is a beeach riding down 101 near humboldt bay. my problem with electric is having to recharge after each ride. i just got this job and i'm not sure how cool the owner is with letting me plug into his power. wondering if lithium ion or other battery might be okay to let sit for 8+ hours before returning home to recharge...

How are the cops in Arcata?

i just got this job and i'm not sure how cool the owner is with letting me plug into his power.

come on now

maybe offer your boss a dollar a working day so as to charge

only a REALY TIGHT boss would take the money

but - if they do - it's cool - you have a charge to get home at speed

now come on -- no more excuses

Ride That Thing ---------------------------- Mountainman

it's been around 8 months now -- riding MB in Calif

haven't ever been pulled over
have had the pooolice take long look at Calif motorized license plate on bike

more guys with lose of driving licenses are riding motor bikes now
seen a guy that I know with many dui's -- one more dui just recently
at the lake the other day on a Happy Time

I am thinking that the pooolice heat may be coming soon

I -- way back when I was investigating the no license subject
noticed a state that required no drivers license for a motor bike
but -- did call out -- not to ride MB if license had been taken due to dui............

As much as that may hurt many -- it makes good sense.....

as we ride those THINGS

New on craigslist, warnings posted in the motorized bicycle for sale section So. Ca. (Inland Empire). You must have a M2 type licence, it's also posted under motorcycles for sale. Seeing this I checked it out for my self at the online site for the Ca. DMV and found the same thing as MikeB1. Plus to make matters worse check this out, A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulison by human power, or having no pedals if powered by elctrical engery). CVC Sec. 406(s) 406 (B). A Motorized Bicycle is issued special licence plates and identification cards, which require a one time fee of $18 . No renewal is required. If you sell your motorized bike there's a place on the back or the ID Card to sign it over and it has to be taken to the DMV so the new owner can pay his $18 fee.
Motorized Bicycle: Safty and Equipment Requirements
24015. (a) Motorized bicycles shall comply with those federal motor vehicle safty standards estabilished under the National Traffic and Motor Vehical Saftey Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C.,Sec 1381, et seq.) which are appilcable to a motor-driven cycle, as that term is defined in such federal standards. Such standards include, but are not limited to, provisions requiring a headlamp, taillamp, stoplamp, side and rear reflex reflectors, and adequate brakes.
(b) In addition to equipment required in subdivision (a) all motorized bicycles operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a mirror as required in subdivision (a) of section 26709, a horn as required in section 27000, and an adequate muffler as required in subdivison (a) of section 27150
Meaning the DMV is going to inspect all motorized bike's before issueing a ID card and licence plate.
All this big brother **** is taking the fun out of having a simple peddle assisted engine on my bicycle. But what can we do but comply? Can anyone tell me how to make a brake light for my coaster brake?

New on craigslist, warnings posted in the motorized bicycle for sale section So. Ca. (Inland Empire). You must have a M2 type licence, it's also posted under motorcycles for sale. Seeing this I checked it out for my self at the online site for the Ca. DMV and found the same thing as MikeB1. Plus to make matters worse check this out, A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulison by human power, or having no pedals if powered by elctrical engery). CVC Sec. 406(s) 406 (B). A Motorized Bicycle is issued special licence plates and identification cards, which require a one time fee of $18 . No renewal is required. If you sell your motorized bike there's a place on the back or the ID Card to sign it over and it has to be taken to the DMV so the new owner can pay his $18 fee.
Motorized Bicycle: Safty and Equipment Requirements
24015. (a) Motorized bicycles shall comply with those federal motor vehicle safty standards estabilished under the National Traffic and Motor Vehical Saftey Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C.,Sec 1381, et seq.) which are appilcable to a motor-driven cycle, as that term is defined in such federal standards. Such standards include, but are not limited to, provisions requiring a headlamp, taillamp, stoplamp, side and rear reflex reflectors, and adequate brakes.
(b) In addition to equipment required in subdivision (a) all motorized bicycles operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a mirror as required in subdivision (a) of section 26709, a horn as required in section 27000, and an adequate muffler as required in subdivison (a) of section 27150
Meaning the DMV is going to inspect all motorized bike's before issueing a ID card and licence plate.
All this big brother **** is taking the fun out of having a simple peddle assisted engine on my bicycle. But what can we do but comply? Can anyone tell me how to make a brake light for my coaster brake?

These rules are old news.
They don't inspect the bike. You send the plate form by mail.
Yes, you officially need an M2 for a gasser, I got it and it was super easy.
Permit was just a written test.
Brake sig/turn sig/horn can be gotten for as low as $12 on ebay.

$18 plate, $12 signal kit, $10 light, $28 M2 test.
Total spent-$68
Not a bad investment to be able to stick it to the cops if you get pulled over.

Last edited:
After having the turn signal kit for awhile,
I like it a lot.
Acts as a running light and brake light, and has a horn.

Regardless whether it's required or not, it's fun to be able
to "Beep Beep" nice folks who wave when you drive by,
and a brake light/turn signals are always nice to have.

I'm planning on adding some front signals as well
wired into to the back turn LEDS....

Last edited:
Sorry about the old news, I only read the first page post's thinking there no more. I checked out the brake switch/horn/turn signal kits on ebay but the brake light switch's were for hand brakes and I have a coaster brake. Any one know how to rig a light up for a coaster brake? Are they impounding bikes for non compliance on the spot or giving people a warning, or a fix it ticket like an auto would get for no wipers or brake lights?

I rode for 2 years and was never pulled over with no brake light/signals,
I didn't have anything except a plate and a helmet.

I bet you'll be fine with just getting a plate and wearing a helmet.
I haven't heard of any cop impounding a MB in CA.

I say just ride, and I doubt anything will happen.
I choose to follow the archaic laws, just because I moved to a town that I
heard the police were jerks...
Ended up not being the case, and I still haven't been pulled over by them.
They see the MB plate, and they just drive on by.

Back