Ride in Ca. With No Drivers License ???

Mountainman

Local time
4:37 AM
Well in regards to what I have found to be A VERY GREY AREA at times -- depending on the person we ask and which dept. we go to... I have had aprox. 8 persons tell me that I can not ride in Ca. without a drivers license -- but -- have found two who say that it is legal... with some research if this is what you are looking for -- as I was --- seek and you should find. Some will not agree with this finding -- I understand.. Have a blessed day from - Mountainman

Can you ride your bicycle without a license?
Well.... then... hide your engine!
But seriously,not one cop has even stopped me but that varies from state to state.
But in my own experience,follow the rules,don't be a super star,and wave at the cops like you have a license.
And as a legal note: What I typed above does not in any way make me responsible for MountainMan's expenses in the event of confrontation with the law. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Large Filipino --- I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR -- as always -- if something comes down -- busted -- on our own --- DON'T DO THE CRIME IF WE CAN'T DO THE TIME... Sounds so simple.. But - has proven in the past NOT TO BE !!! Something this old Mountainman needs to constantly remember !!!! Happy Riding - from Mountainman

Ok, i was going to post a new thread but my question kinda fits within this... ok so supposedly you need an M2 license in CA. So one of the requirements for the M2 is a 'skills' test. So there's all the stops & turns, and positioning in traffic.

ok since we're 'bicycles' and ride in the bike lanes, are they gonna have bike lanes in the test?? I mean I dont think we should have to ride in the 'street areas' because thats not how I'm going to ride when I'm actually on the road.

Basically I think it's kinda stupid that you need a license to drive a bicycle - yes it has a motor but you're still riding like a bicycle. not a moped.

what do you guys think?

so i'm really trying to remember what mike said ' dont ask questions, just get the M2 & be done with it.' so thats what I'm trying to do. I'm just curious how the 'skills test is going to go when show up with a whizzer for the actual test. ah, we'll see how it goes, I'll def post my experience about it.

At this time I have two letters from two separate law enforcement agencies in Calif. that state that anyone over the age of 16 can ride a gas motorized bicycle with less than 2 horsepower with no drivers license.. It took some digging -- research -- but, in my case it was worth the time... Happy Riding from Mountainman

Mountainman..is there any way to PDF those letters and post them here? It would be useful to others in California to assist convincing local police of the legality of having a "motorized bicycle". Also THANK you for digging into this really grey area. we look at this as being under the requirements on page 3 (actually page 7) of the 2008 California motorcycle hand book ( http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf ) which states

There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:
• A two- or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:
-
fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
an internal combustion engine producing less than two gross brake horse-
power and an automatic transmission.
an electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (VC Sec.406[a])
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of
VC Sec.406, you:
• Must be 16 years of age or older.
• Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
• Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (VC Sec.12804.9).
You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed. Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.

we have this page printed out and will be giving them to others in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mountainman..is there any way to PDF those letters and post them here? It would be useful to others in California to assist convincing local police of the legality of having a "motorized bicycle". Also THANK you for digging into this really grey area.

Hi Mike -- at this time -- there is a problem with the sharing of the information -- as follows -- I have lost my drivers license for one year.. My motorbike will be my only means of transportation.. When I was looking into this issue -- went to many sites -- some phone calls -- such as DMV -- once DMV told me it was legal to ride a small gas 1.6 hp without a license -- same question to DMV the next day -- they said no !!! Same question - two answers !!! Yes, I have found two law enforcement agencies that have stated NO DRIVERS LICENSE REQUIRED to ride a gas motorized bicycle (under 2 hp) at 20 mph... But - and here is the problem - if at this time I share their names -- I think they may get hundreds of calls -- could cause them to re-consider what they have stated to me -- them I am out of luck ! After the return of my license -- for sure I will share the information.. I hope that you all understand my situation --- Mountainman

not thrilled with your attitude and selfisness but hey what's new everyone is out for themselves in this lovely country that I was born and served time in.

If someone truly wants the information -- they should be able to find it as I did.. I am super slow in regards to computers and on a very slow phone line -- but still it was found... It is easy to judge -- but -- unless I have been in the exact situation -- maybe I should not.. Happy Biking from Mountainman

Last edited:
Back