Bonneville Salt Flats

HalCannon

Local time
9:27 AM
I love riding my Golden Eagle at the Salt Flats. It is particularly fun during the time trials.

Bonneville Salt Flats is truly an amazing place. It is like being on the moon. Early morning is the best. There are three races each year. The big one, and my least favorite because its generally so hot is in August, the second is in September and is called the World of Speed. It is run by the Utah Racing Association and opens with a prayer (http://www.saltflats.com/) Check out our NPR radio piece on that at:

http://www.westernfolklife.org/site1...180&Itemid=214

It is my favorite. Then in October is the World Finals which is run by the California Timing Association. All are wonderful if the salt is good and is not flooded (something that happens fairly often) The best is just taking a bike out to tool around. The time trials are secondary to motor heads going up and down the rows of vehicles checking things out, talking to garage geniuses. It has been a wet cool spring this year so I'm not sure how the salt will be this fall.

There should be more small cc engines out there this year. I met the Golden Eagle folks there 2 1/2 years ago and was sold on their product then. The bar stool racing with big truck starter motors has been the major novelty in recent years but perhaps that is waning.

Anyhow, hope to meet some of you folks on the flats this fall

Hal Cannon,
Utah

I believe that augidog will be running there with Denis from gebe
good luck to all and keep the rubber side down :)

hiya, Hal. USFRA's World of Speed was everything you said it would be, how can i NOT go back next year?

man, it was great having you and rollie show up...& what a treat the groovy pics are, thank you...

i love your Tanaka 32 'bent and i appreciate the test-ride, a marvelous install...keep us posted on how she's runnin'.

Attachments

• hal_cannon_recumbent.jpg
    hal_cannon_recumbent.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
note that the usfra site has some good pics of previous year's runs, i assume that this year's stuff will trickle in over time...there were some awesomely fantastic machines out there, real noisy and fast!!! surely we'll see some pics of them eventually :cool:

Back