New Build, Starts WON'T Accelerate!

katelen101

Local time
9:26 AM
I just installed a 70cc 2stroke. It starts up and runs, but will hardly accelerate at all, if I didnt pedal it would barely would forward. Is this common with new bikes? I got it from thatsdax and supposedly it can get up to about 35? Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Is it making noise and blowing hot exhaust? Possible you're just turning the motor over and it's not actually adding power, just making a burbly noise as it pumps air?

Does it rev up fine when the clutch is pulled in?

Does it rev with the clutch out, but without acceleration?

spark plug gap

my best friend just built his first motored bike and ran into the same issue, he asked me to look at it. first thing i did was pull the spark plug and it had an unmeasurable small gap, so may want to check that, mine is at .027 runs great

I just installed a 70cc 2stroke. It starts up and runs, but will hardly accelerate at all, if I didnt pedal it would barely would forward. Is this common with new bikes? I got it from thatsdax and supposedly it can get up to about 35? Any suggestions or similar experiences?

check compresion as well.

Bob:)

BlueColllarBike

Is it making noise and blowing hot exhaust? Possible you're just turning the motor over and it's not actually adding power, just making a burbly noise as it pumps air?
Bro I'm having that exact prob my motor starts but makes a gurgly sound when I try to acclerate sum1 plz help .... I just built the bike and it ran a lil before doing this

Bro I'm having that exact prob my motor starts but makes a gurgly sound when I try to acclerate sum1 plz help .... I just built the bike and it ran a lil before doing this

Here's the basic troubleshooting checklist for all petrol motors:

1. Check for spark. Pull the spark plug out. Put the boot back on it, and ground the plug on the motor (metal to metal contact). Turn the pedal of the bike with the clutch in gear, and look for spark.

2. Check spark plug condition. Did you foul it with anything? A little brake cleaner will do wonders for it if the plug isn't nice and clean.

3. Shine a light down the spark plug hole. Look and see if there's fuel puddled on the piston. If there is, tighten down on your carby to restrict the flow more. With any carbureted motor, there is going to be fine tuning to get proper flow.

4. Check for compression. If you're in the US, you can get a compression tester kit from AutoZone or Advance, and you'll get your money back when you return it in good condition.

5. Check your chain. Make sure it's not too tight (there is such a thing) and providing too much resistance against the motor. If the motor can't spin properly, then it'll bog down.

Though to me it sounds like bad spark/too much fuel. When you start it and it idles, do you get exhaust that smells extremely powerfully of petrol? If you do and no smoke, you've got no spark. If you're getting stinky black smoke, you're flooding the engine.

Back