Looking to purchase but have a couple questions.

kenster

Local time
2:46 AM
Hi, I asked these questions in the introduction forum but thought I would get better respone here. I'm looking at different systems and do not have a motorized bike yet.

I want to use the bike in places where a motor is not permited. Which system is the easiest to stop the motor and use as a normal bike? I'm almost sold on the belt drive but I'm concerned that removing the belt all the time will be a hassle.

The second concern I have is I need to keep my bike in my apartment. Has anyone done this and is the smell of gas a problem?

Third I'm in Southern California, I'm a little torn about registering the bike as a moped and then being subject to laws like brake lights, motorcycle helmet and not being permited in the bike lane. Also, even if I register by mail, I don't think they will let me take the test on a bike since it lacks certain required equipment. Anyone else in So Cal skip the registration and take their chances? Anyone know the fine for riding an unregistered motorbike.

Fourth, I'd like to ask some seasoned rider for opinions. The most dangerous area I ride in is the last four blocks to the beach where the bike lane ends. It is packed with peolple in cars looking for parking and just not seeing bicycles. I have many close calls with doors opening, right turners and parked cars pulling into traffic. The danger in this area seems to be worse because bikes are required to keep to the right. I think It will actually be safer if I can get up to the speed of traffic and stay in the middle of the lane for those few blocks like a motorcycle. Anyone else in a high traffic area with this kind of problem? Thank you for you help.

Last edited:
Tought couple of questions...about keeping it in your apt...I am not sure...It's not stinking up the garage...don't forget to turn off the fuel. I would suggest you keep something under it though..the other day I was fighting with my kill switch, and couldn't get it started (bad switch) so the motor was flooded, and black oily residue started dripping from the pipe...

About bad drivers: I live in one of the "Snowbird" capitals here in Palm Beach. People are driving that are so handicapped with age that I'm amazed when you see them get out of the car...they can barely walk! So how are they possibly going to be able to hit their brakes when they finally do see you? You just have to be VERY careful. Maybe ride the bike as a bike in that last 4 blocks to the beach...

Forget riding at traffic speeds, these things aren't designed for that. California, I don't know. Any rack mount from Staton or GEBE will have a sealed fuel system, so gas fumes shouldn't be a problem but I would recommend inside storage with an empty fuel tank. The Staton chain drive will be the most convenient to peddle due to the freewheel design but a friction drive only requires raising the drive roller for no drag peddling. There is a wet road issue with them though.

Funny how life's just a bunch of trade offs.

Last edited by a moderator:
the GEBE belt can be taken off (or put back on) in about 30 seconds...just tie it to the stays for storage for extended pedaling-only.

Forget riding at traffic speeds, these things aren't designed for that. California, I don't know. Any rack mount from Staton or GEBE will have a sealed fuel system, so gas fumes shouldn't be a problem but I would recommend inside storage with an empty fuel tank. The Staton chain drive will be the most convenient to peddle due to the freewheel design but a friction drive only requires raising the drive roller for no drag peddling. There is a wet road issue with them though.

Funny how life's just a bunch of trade offs.

The traffic speed is not too fast in this area, maybe 20 to 25 would keep me up with traffic. If I can stay in the middle I won't be forced to the curb by a right turn.

I would definitely go rack mount but if your really concerned about laws and gas fumes then maybe the electric option may not be too bad. If you don't venture out too far it may be what you need especially if your willing to pedal some.
Right now anyway it seems to be more acceptable,getting some news coverage but the gas guys are catching up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eNdU9QQZUk

I hope you will excuse my ignorance but around here, cars only go 25 when they slow down for stop signs. Most don't stop, just slow down.

Tought couple of questions...about keeping it in your apt...I am not sure...It's not stinking up the garage...don't forget to turn off the fuel. I would suggest you keep something under it though..the other day I was fighting with my kill switch, and couldn't get it started (bad switch) so the motor was flooded, and black oily residue started dripping from the pipe...

About bad drivers: I live in one of the "Snowbird" capitals here in Palm Beach. People are driving that are so handicapped with age that I'm amazed when you see them get out of the car...they can barely walk! So how are they possibly going to be able to hit their brakes when they finally do see you? You just have to be VERY careful. Maybe ride the bike as a bike in that last 4 blocks to the beach...

Actually, once I have a motor I may be able to avoid the whole mess by going the long way around.

Read your laws carefully, usually bikes just have to stay "as far right as practicable", if you have to fight it in court just say it's impractical because you could get car-doored, which is true. Or you could find the specs for how wide a lane has to be and if the lane isn't up to code it's not safe.

Me, I'd just block traffic if the speed limit was 25, but I'd go 25.

Consider a rearview mirror; you can hear cars coming when you're pedalling but not when your motor is on.

I would definitely go rack mount but if your really concerned about laws and gas fumes then maybe the electric option may not be too bad. If you don't venture out too far it may be what you need especially if your willing to pedal some.
Right now anyway it seems to be more acceptable,getting some news coverage but the gas guys are catching up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eNdU9QQZUk

I havn't considered electric but will look into it. I do like that they are quiet.

Back