Chain Tensioner Spring Return Chain Tensioner

Dear Happycheapskate-Thanx for the detailed reply. I'm glad that your rig worked for you. Still, I am very leary of mounting any load bearing hardware on the case as you did. Finally installed another rigid plastic idler with bearings and she's running fine with the stock idler wheel bracket. Got about 200 miles on here now and the only other mode I'd like to try is installing an idler wheel mounting bracket between the bike frame rear tubes,as you mentioned:)-Gearhead

Last edited:
It doesn't bear much load at all. Basically all it does is keep the chain from bouncing when the engine is started or lugged. It also can work with the standard roller tensioner too if you need a guide pulley. The chain must be the minimal reasonable length, with the tensioner just doing a little work. If you have an extra link in it, the chain might slack at the bottom and derail.

Correct Item#s For Parts

I had someone ask me about the parts I used. I looked on TCS website and they do not show them. It looks like they carry them as accessories for their line of mini bikes "Baja Motorsports". Anyone interested the part numbers are as follows:
#165-063 Chain Tensioner with roller.
#165-280 Chain Tensioner Spring...

Those part#s are incorrect, I tried them and got nowhere, so I typed in "spring loaded chain tensioner" (at www.tractorsupply.com, and it pulled up both the chain tensioner and spring.

I would use 1 U-bolt with a nylon sleeve (to protect the bikes finish), 2 flat washers, 2 lock washers and 2 nuts to mount the tensioner.

Here are the correct Item#s:
5510254 Baja Motorsports Spring Tensioner $2.99*
5510238 Baja Chain Tensioner Assembly $14.99*
1150052 Roller Chain, Size 41 $16.99*

*Prices will not be the same in all areas. Plus tax.

Last edited:
Great info, there's a tractor store 25mins away from my house. I'll be heading there this weekend to pick up these parts

Be wary

Great info, there's a tractor store 25mins away from my house. I'll be heading there this weekend to pick up these parts

Make sure you call your store ahead and have them check for the parts, I called ahead to my Tractor Supply and they said they had all the parts except for the tensioner assembly, but when I got there they only had the chain, they had 2 of the springs but they couldn't find them because they were on clearance, (and you know how little springs can get lost in a big store). So make sure they have the parts in there hands (so to speak) before you waste your time on about an hour trip, and look kinda like this the whole way back.:mad:

there are some really decent looking ones on ebay recently under mtorized bicycle chain tensioners check em out !!

I wonder if Automotive U joint bolts would fit ? They are bulletproof tough !
Failing that, how about a hardware store U bolt ? A DeVille setup might be using a front motor mount frame retainer. [ term ?? ] I'd consider welding some strapping to a u bolt to get extra clamping surface area, something the threaded rod lacks. Please don't think I'm being picky, I like your concept, just want to make it a tad better. Stock Idlers are scary !

Hi, anyone using this type of tensioner. I was going to make something similar but just bought one online.

Attachments

• ISS-0063.jpg
    ISS-0063.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 890
  • ISS-0064.jpg
    ISS-0064.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 805
  • ISS-0062.jpg
    ISS-0062.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 815
Just bought the same one from Australia. I bought the other spring loaded one that's advertised on EBay and could not get it to work at all:( A waste of $35.00-Gearhead

Back