12v lighting & safety system project-an MBc Community Effort

i edited my previous post to the proper specs...i don't think i'll be able support a 55w draw, i'm researching h3's now.

now, about the housing...it almost (80%) rawks! lightweight, solid, neat lil bracket. side-lighting is a plus on these darks roads...it does make a fairly broad and soft flood, tho, but the 55 watts sure does reach a long way...daylight-visbility is to (not) die for, a sharp light that clearly catches attention. maybe i should try to make it work..uh-oh, more regulator-stoopidity coming up.

nice plus: since the housing's rated at 55w, it's the perfect foundation for other socket/bulb options.

btw-anyone wanting one of these housings; i'm happy to help get one to you at cost. PM me if you want one.

started the day at 12.68v

had about an hour.5 of runtime today, (cruzin threw his chain, so i lit him up while he fixed that) the light looked bright when i got home.

battery read 12.23v

zomby, your seal-of-approval means a lot, thanks. the look is growing on me, too...yesterday, a road-crew heard (and saw) me coming, it was all "thumbs up" as i buzzed past :)

motorists are seeing a "faster" vehicle and giving me lots of room...i'm gonna give a thumbs-up on the (safety) effectiveness of this headlight, and i'm willing to try to make it work...i'll drop to a 35W, the lowest rated H3 i could find, if i have to.

today's specs:

starting charge 13.32V

15 miles of runtime: 12.45V

Last edited by a moderator:
after sitting yesterday, no usage or charging: 12.53V

12.65V = 100%
12.45V = 75%
12.24V = 50%
12.06V = 25%
11.89% = Discharged

avoid dropping below 12.20V

if i understand my battery correctly, i guess i have another 25-30 miles of effective lighting in it w/o a charge...

i do believe i've got a decent DIY setup to offer the daily-rider:

12V 7A SLA Hobby Battery $16 (5.25lb)
12V 500ma Charger $10
12V 55W (H3) Headlight $10 (.50lb)

if you need a few more miles, switch out the 55W H3 bulb for a 35W version.
if you can get by with less, go to a 12V 5A SLA and save a coupla pounds.

get creative with a box, switch, and some spare parts for easy system maintenance.
i used one socket and 3 plugs (running, testing, charging):
Mvc-727f.jpgMVC-721F.JPG

this is an effective headlight for the money, and the safety factor is well worth the extra weight. i'm experiencing a new atmosphere on the road. cagers now see a "real" motor-vehicle and they give me a lot more room.

next step will be to decide on a rear LED setup, then learn how to wire it into the system.

down the road: onboard charging

Augi-

For the online charging u can run any solar battery charger (maybe this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280016188021&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018) thru this charge controller http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270165554746&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017 and it should take care of you. I looked into the dynamo hubs too for a charge-as-u-go setup but they cost WAY too much. Might be able to run a cheap friction dynamo thru that controller and get the same effect tho.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hello to all , Sorry . shiesh don't get your nickers all in a twist there Dude.........ok ok I'll drive in daytime only . Does that do it for ya? ....T

Last edited by a moderator:
please, guys...this is a project-topic...no sooner than i get something i like and we get sidetracked with someone else's project...please, let me work on my project...and feel free to start one of your own if you have something serious to present, we surely want to see it.

i don't know how to nicely handle this stuff...off-topic & hijacking just ain't cool. i will gladly protect anyone's personal projects with the same zeal, just PM me to let me know you need some help and i'll get right on it.

when i have it worked out, and can budget it in, i will present my idea for onboard charging of my system. i promise, i won't be shy if i need to ask for some help with the techie stuff...stay tuned :)

another 20 minutes/10 miles (nice ride up the bay side with don) on the same charge.

tonite's reading: 12.30V

i'm purposely waiting to see the light dim or the charge drop to 12.20V before i recharge.

this is working! and what a huge difference in how i'm treated on the road :cool:

try1897 and others: imagine a big garage. imagine a lot of workbenches lined up. imagine you can go claim an empty one and start a project, people are welcome to wander by and watch, they'll gab and ask some questions, but noone will mess with your stuff or move anything around. if you need some help with your project, just ask around, everyone's watching and eager to help. but it is, after all, your project, & people respect that..are we cool now? anyone here can run a project and all it takes is the word "project" in the subject to get special attention from the staff, it's a great way to use only one thread but get a lot of work done :cool:

"knickers in a twist"...LOL! i do have one set of boxers that never wants
to cooperate, i try to avoid wearing 'em if i know i'm gonna be riding...
sometimes i forget, so i know exactly what you mean :???:

Any idea of how many lumins, or what candlepower, you're getting from that light? Curious for comparison purposes. You're winning me over. Looks like you will get about the runtime I will need. Good project Augie.

Back