Chainsaws,weedwhackers,snow blowers...oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Save the trees and get 200 MPG. Ther is a story there, somewear!
Doc

That would endear us to approx. 1/2 of the community up here.

Sorry 'bout that. So what's the next experiment/project? I follow this thread closely because I've got a pile of weed whackers in the yard and one of these days....

lol davo. Your alright. A man with a sense of adventure and one of humour also.
Love the builds. You've seen a couple of my rackmounts and other offbeat designs and I do bel;eve we be barkin up the same tree.
I've built , gotta be close to 30 , motored bikes(wheeled , motored, go from here to there machines) and finnaly broke down and bought my very first
"KIT" a couple days ago.
Yeah, an actual kit!!!!
70cc frame mount like the majority of our fine members seem to be using.
Couldn't believe it , !!!!!! less than 2 hour into the build and I was making a beer run on my newest motorized bike. SWEEeeeeEET,
I've gotten so used to designing frame mounts, gearing jack shafts and the likes that i was almost dissapointed that the install was finnished as soon as I started!! or so it seemed.
I did have to modify the engine mounts to fit the cruiser frame but had everything in the shop to do it so it only took a couple minutes.
Kits are goood. I'll buy another but theres something about grabbing anything you can get your hands on and making it work regardless. heh heh
Cheers and post more pics of the unique and wonderfully different pieces of art that your working on.
~Haggard~

Quoted from a different thread by srdavo about my new friction drive bike...
"I need to know more about the 4 stroke weedwhacker. cc's? what brand name? sure makes the lil bike roll!! good job!!"

I think it's probably a 20some cc and it's a Ryobi. I shopped around the other day at Home Depot and found one that looks like it would be perfect (except for the fact that it is 2 stroke). The pull start is on the opposite side of the drive shaft and I think it was selling for $169.00. I also saw a Honda that was probably even better but I couldn't find a price on it...probably $$$! I think it had a 35cc 4 stroke engine.

The one I used has to be "push started" because of having to remove the pull starter.

I may be buying the 2 stroke I spoke of earlier for the wife.

One thing I have noticed about this type of engine is that there is almost no vibration like happy time engines and they are a lot quieter than the happy times because they sit behind the rider.

Haggard or Iride, I got a little 2 stroke wheedwhacker motor that runs great and has a pull start but no clutch. Is it wierd for them to have a a square drive shaft? How would I go about converting it to the roller friction drive?
Tanks a bunch
Doc

The one I did has no clutch. The whole thing pivots right behind the seat post so you can engage and disengage it by lifting it off of the wheel. The clutch that was on mine, had a square shaft on it. I found that when you take off the clutch the shaft had a threaded end that, conveniently, took a regular bicycle axle nut. I just made a shim with a washer on one end that slid on the shaft against the flywheel/fan (non washer side in) and then put the skate board wheel on and then threaded the axle nut with another washer on to hold the whole thing on. Luckily, the engine rotates in the direction that tightens the nut that holds the skateboard wheel.

I hope that made sense and helps. If you need some other detail pics, let me know.

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2115.jpg
    IMG_2115.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5,027
Yeah, that makes sense. I'll dig into it when i return from the hospital. I have a junior mountain bike I want to rig it on for my grandson. Of course, I'll have to deal with his mother about letting him ride it, but she can only watch him so long. Ha Ha Thanks!
Doc

Meet Murray

full name: Murray daSaw :LOL:

After helping AlexL on several total homebuilts, this was my 1st solo (almost) homebuilt. Yes...I totally ripped off his design, but he is okay with it.:D Heck, he's using Murray for his daily ride, till he can rebuild his snowblower.

this is direct drive, (bump start) for now. in the 2nd pic, note the "hand clutch" with the tarp strap to hold tension on the friction roller. the drive roller is a section of bicycle tubing, scored with a grinder. the fuel tank has since been moved below the engine.
I plan to put the engine housing & pull start back on & squirt some paint on that ugly rack.

Attachments

• 100_1586.JPG
    100_1586.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 1,910
  • 100_1585.JPG
    100_1585.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 4,760
Doc; that'll put a grin on your grandson's face....good luck with his mama!!;)

Dan; Thanks for your posts. I like your drive roller design. Can't wait to see what you do next!

Haggard; after dabbling with homebuilts, I'll have a hard time buying another happytime. The next time I use a chainsaw, I will mount it mid frame, like a happytime.

A-van; what's next? you ask.....here's a hint.
It involves a piece of art and this lawn mower.

Attachments

• nov22 021.jpg
    nov22 021.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,777
  • 100_1655.JPG
    100_1655.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,657
  • 100_1659.JPG
    100_1659.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 1,554
  • 100_1657.JPG
    100_1657.JPG