has anyone mounted a 47cc tanaka???

Ha Ha Ha very informative thanks for the info Ol' Pete :D . Looks like between all that hardware we should be able to figure something out. What was your take on the 40 purefire I don't know if I buy the not clean enough bit...
it is carb tier 2 compliant and epa phase 2 compliant I think they just bit off more than they could chew....I think they want some engines with more power because the customer base has asked for it maybe they still need a little more R&D, I suppose I could voulenteer to be a 47cc guinea pig... :eek: I get what you are saying it's like anything you take care of it and treat it right and it should reward you back...use and abuse and your up crap creek without a paddle. thanks for the input let me know how that robins treats you. Sly

I have been riding my full suspension bike fitted with a GEBE belt drive and a Tanaka 47R motor for 2 years now. I have had no problems with it after I switched the rear wheel to 12 gauge spokes. Before that I went through several bent and broken spokes. Of course I take off slow and easy. It'll do about 45 on level ground. My main ride is a Chinese 70cc and I ride the 47R when I have the need for speed or when I'm going on a long distance ride.
55_Tanaka_47cc_1.jpg

Butch
Please tell us more about living with the 47R's power vs the GEBE's belt.
How many miles have you ridden it? Have you ever lost a belt?
What drive gear are you using? Hows the noise?

Do not tease us! :D :cool:

sly
Julia stated that they are waiting on tier II Tanaka 40s and I will not call her a lier.
Companies die from bad press and so far the customer service is excellent and a very good level of quality is there.
GEBE is not a fly by night company, they are here for the long haul.

Staton looks like a good product but seems to be heavy and complex and most bicycle guys that ride distance like light 'n simple.
I will pursue acquioring that old electric bike that has the Staton kit mickey moused onto it. I might sell the engine just to get the gear box for free.

Butch, both sly and I are quivering in happy anticipation of your further input. Thanks in advance. :cool:

I've put about 250 miles on the bike last summer and only about 50 miles so far this summer. My cruising speed is normally between 25 and 30 MPH. This isn't a whole lot of miles but is definately a whole lot of fun. I still have the original GEBE belt that looks like it's got many miles left on it. I am using the #14 gear which is the largest available. I don't have any real steep inclines in my area but it climbs the small to medium inclines with ease. The noise level is probably a bit more than the chinese 70 but I actually like the sound.

Hello Butch, thanks for the input we dont need to guess anymore you have it in the flesh there. I am curiouse with such a powerful smooth reliable set up why the 70cc chinese? also how does that engine balance on the back? and is the belt you are using the newer heavy duty belt or the original lighter belt? one last thing the clutch how does it come on lower rpm or higher and is it pretty smooth? or just SHA BANG :eek: also have you gone on may actual mb trails how does this set up handle being off road sorry for all the questions but you might hold the key to nirvana.. ha ha.
what did gebe say about that motor? this is the reply I just heard back from them...

Hi there!
The motor in question is definately bigger then anything we sell and would most likely be too powerful for the kits. If you didnt man handle them too much it would last but theres no way we would be able to warranty the parts. If you would like to order the kit without engine you can find them here at the bottom of the page: http://www.bikeengines.com/orderpage.htm

Good luck on your search!

Vaughn
GeBe

Hello Butch, thanks for the input we dont need to guess anymore you have it in the flesh there. I am curiouse with such a powerful smooth reliable set up why the 70cc chinese?

I guess I'm just addicted to motorized bikes. I also have a 48V electric hub bike which I don't ride much. Not as much fun as the gas powered.
I have a Staton friction drive with a 40cc Tanaka motor mounted on a long wheelbase recumbent that I ride occasionally.
I'm in the process of finishing a short wheelbase recumbent with a 48cc Grubee motor. This may turn out to be my new favorite ride.

also how does that engine balance on the back?

No problem with balance. I can hardlt tell it's there.

and is the belt you are using the newer heavy duty belt or the original lighter belt?

The belt is the newer HTD model.

one last thing the clutch how does it come on lower rpm or higher and is it pretty smooth? or just SHA BANG

The clutch is very smooth. Of course I start off pedaling before I open the throttle.

also have you gone on may actual mb trails how does this set up handle being off road sorry for all the questions but you might hold the key to nirvana.. ha ha.

I have not gone off road with the bike so I can't comment on that.

what did gebe say about that motor? this is the reply I just heard back from them...

I guess I can understand why GEBE wouldn't warranty their kits with this motor. I always start off by pedaling and then I ease into the throttle slowly. I'm sure there are others that wouldn't treat the setup with the same respect. In which case they would likely not have the good luck that I have had with mine.

Mine is in the mail--

Well I ordered my GEBE kit today for my 47cc Type R-- I'm inspired by the previous posts & think I can make it work as well. I also ordered a 26" velocity wheel with 105g spokes which is gonna screw up my rear disk setup, but should be worth it if all goes well. Go big or go home, right? Thanks to all for the great info.

Butch thanks for the reply and all the great information... looks like you may have started something here.

DeadbleedRed you will have to give us the updates on the install and your experience with the gebe set up. best of luck Sly

Re: Mine is in the mail--

DeadBleedRed said:
Well I ordered my GEBE kit today for my 47cc Type R-- Go big or go home, right?

Not really. Some of us have ridden motorbikes at well over 140mph and have no need for speed. Meh! A sustained 45mph on a bicycle? Good luck! Please post pics after the first blow-out. Hahahaha! Or the car that turns left in front of you. They sure do it. :cool:

I for one would never ride one of these bikes at a sustained speed of 45 MPH. I wiped out a couple months ago while going just 20 MPH around a curve with loose sand on the road and wound up with a fractured rib and 30 odd stitches in my head. I know, I should have had a helmet on. Heard that umpteen times since the accident. Anyway I can't imagine wiping out at 45 MPH. My average cruising speed is 25-30.
My bike survived with only a few minor scratches.

Back