Carby Carb Needle HELP!

P

Patch

So I just got my bike going last weekend...and I saw a post about needing too much choke means you're running lean.

So I changed the needle from 2nd from top to 3rd (richer), and yet I see NO difference. I still need 7/8ths off all the choke. Can anyone tell me what's going on? What can I do to fix this?

I don'y trust my self tapering the needle--so what else is there?

Should I move my clip to the last notch?
Thanks guys

No need to taper needles. You might have any of following issues:

1. AIR LEAK <---most likely problem. Check intake gasket, check carb etc..

2. Fuel delivery issue which can be anything from clogged fuel line, fuel shutoff valve not working well, clogged mesh screen on fuel valve, if not using a fuel filter you probably have crap in your carb that needs to be flushed out, needle jet that is clogged or not properly machined at factory.

Yes, no need to taper the needle- yet, or unless you want to fine tune it later. As I said, don't try it if you have ANY doubts about doing it.

Sounds like you have a small air leak. Sometimes there is only a very subtle difference, especially if your engine isn't broke in yet.

Check the carb to manifold joint (sometimes they don't go on all the way and those four slots leave four little gaps at the ends). Also check your intake gasket. Use a little Seal All or silicone on both sides of the gasket, then tighten it properly. See if that works.

okIE doke I'll check it all, but when we first set up the engine, I replaced the gasket with Hightemp and permatex 1a. Maybe I didn't get a good seal?

I also put a paintball tank Co2 silicone ring in the carb mount, I thought it would help but ill try it without it.

How can I check for air leaks? Is there an easy way?

thanks again

The first thing I would do is to replace the gasket sealer with the original gasket, (or if you tossed it, a new one made with gasket paper, or as some here do-cereal box cardboard) coated on both sides with the permatex.

I'll bet you a dollar, that the problem.

Bike guyjoe... I replaced the gasket with high temp and permatex on both sides. I figured just sealer would bust real easy so i added gasket material

Should I still replace it? It ran with alittle over half today so Maybe my paintball O-ring helped?!?!?

Thanks (look for my hardware post too) :D

If you are confident the gasket is good, leave it and look for any other possible air leak sources.

well, The top section of the carb mount thing was snapped of :( So I put a paintball O-ring in there, squized it up really tight, and got it to run at almost 1/2 choke (alittle over) maybe just a little cold weather too. But is there any better way to seal the carb mounting thing?

That carb has to be on the manifold pretty tight. If the "top section of the carb mount thing" was broken, I am assuming you mean the clamp?
Get a good quality (no dollar store stuff, go to an auto parts store ) hose clamp of the right size range and clamp 'er down.

i had exactly the same breakage, it seems common. the clamp itself is what breaks it.

my fix, a strip of beercan (no, not the same one :p ) slightly wider than the carb outlet is long, trimmed the length to wrap about 1 1/2 times around the intake. slid the sleeve inside the carb, then carefully got it onto the intake.

not one single problem, the engine starts cold or hot, with exactly the expected amount of choke. warms up to no choke in less than a minute, and with the bored jet i have detonation all the way up to WOT. i'm completely lovin' my bike.

41_Mvc402f_1.jpg

dunno why this worked so good, but it sure did for me 8)

Back