How much compression do you have with standard head and RockSolidEngines Billet Head

My longer studs and slimline air filter etc. arrived from SBP yesterday. The air filter is great. Looks good, low restriction and it seals well to the carb, unlike the stock filter. They also have a metal exhaust gasket that I'm trying.
I've had the engine out to modify engine mounts, but just got it back in with the billet head on. A couple more things and I'll take it for a spin in a day or so and re-test compression. I'll post results on performance and compression.
When the billet head was on a few weeks ago, there was a very noticeable power increase, but also a noise increase. The fins on the billet head ring like a chime, amplifying any piston-slap noise and need damping rubbers. That's next. I've already done the cylinder fins.)
(There was one stripped cylinder nut at the time, so the compression might be even higher when I test it next. Hope I can start it.)

squid, maybe my inlet gasket was from a bad batch, if you say others are using them and they're OK. Also, maybe the 8ml/litre octane booster that I use affects them. Don't know and don't really care. I won't buy any more to find out. Much rather cut my own gasket from 0.8mm oil-jointing paper. It never swells.

Fabian, I agree with you on the RSE billet inlet, too. My DIY grooved/'o' ringed alloy inlet works well, clears the clutch cable and the carb sits on an even flatter angle than with the stock steel tube. (Problem there is that the alloy tubes have a smaller ID than the steel ones, theoretically restricting flow slightly, although I noticed no difference in performance with it fitted.)

... Steve

A pic with SBP filter and RSE head fitted:-

attachment.php

Attachments

• SBP Filter & RSE Head.jpg
    SBP Filter & RSE Head.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 354
can you post a video of that bike??? Maybe a couple of good pulls to redline???

Redline?? You mean WOT 'til it won't rev any higher.
It might be tricky to video. I don't have a car or second person here. I'll see who drops in over the next couple of days. First I need to check/re-tune the carb to suit the head and air filter. I'm hoping it goes a bit leaner through the mid-rev range. My slide needle is at it's lowest setting and the mix was still a bit rich with the stock air filter.

I'm judging improvements by how well it climbs a couple of local hills, what the slowest comfortable speed is and how high it revs out when held at WOT for a bit. With the stock head, I'm getting 7310 RPM, (26", 44T, 31.3mph / 51kph)

... Steve

Last edited:
Redline?? You mean WOT 'til it won't rev any higher.
It might be tricky to video. I don't have a car or second person here. I'll see who drops in over the next couple of days. First I need to check/re-tune the carb to suit the head and air filter. I'm hoping it goes a bit leaner through the mid-rev range. My slide needle is at it's lowest setting and the mix was still a bit rich with the stock air filter.

I'm judging improvements by how well it climbs a couple of local hills, what the slowest comfortable speed is and how high it revs out when held at WOT for a bit. With the stock head, I'm getting 7310 RPM, (26", 44T, 31.3mph / 51kph)

... Steve

how do you know how many rpms your engine is spinning???/

how do you know how many rpms your engine is spinning???/

Guesswork and good hearing.

No, actually I downloaded a copy of 'GearRatio.exe':-

JPilots Gear Ratio Calculator

Enter # teeth on primary and clutch gears, (20T, 82T), # of teeth on secondary drive, (10T, 44T), wheel diameter and RPM. Program returns speed in mph.

... Steve

so do you input speed to get rpms???

More or less.
First I accurately calibrated my speedo by sitting on the bike, rolling forward one turn of the wheel, then measuring the distance covered and entering it into the speedo.
Then, by trial and error I enter RPM values into GearRatio.exe until the displayed speed is the same as my measured speed.

Actually, my first results were wrong - I used 26" as the diameter in GearRatio.exe and forgot to enter my true, (loaded), wheel diameter of 25.57".
As a result, my true engine speed at 31.3mph/51kph is 7430 RPM, 120RPM higher than I thought.

... Steve

Last edited:
More or less.
First I accurately calibrated my speedo by sitting on the bike, rolling forward one turn of the wheel, then measuring the distance covered and entering it into the speedo.
Then, by trial and error I enter RPM values into GearRatio.exe until the displayed speed is the same as my measured speed.

Actually, my first results were wrong - I used 26" as the diameter in GearRatio.exe and forgot to enter my true, (loaded), wheel diameter of 25.57".
As a result, my true engine speed at 31.3mph/51kph is 7430 RPM, 120RPM higher than I thought.

... Steve

that's pretty cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0sUe0VXco4

Here is a fairly recent video of my bike. I need to take some footage on a nice flat road so I can really open the bike up but this should give you some idea.

yep... thats pretty much what my bike is like. I will try and post some video tomorrow. Mine isnt hooked up to a jackshaft though... just a 44t sprocket. Should give you some idea of the how the milled head worked out though.

Back