Adding a gas tank

shawnshank

Local time
7:18 AM
I'm running a tanaka 40 cc GEBE setup and I'm thinking about adding an additional happy time style gas tank to supplement the one that came on the tanaka. Is there a way to add an additional tank while keeping the small tank that came on the tanaka?
If you've already completed a similar modification and you wouldn't mind attaching some photos of it, I would appreciate it.

Here's mine: http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3390/img4675ynk.jpg

and http://motoredbikes.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19575&d=1247452284

Here's one story: http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=19513&page=2

Drill a hole at the top of the tank for a standard brass nipple. Be careful if you replace the Happy Time's filter. When my FRAM automotive filter runs empty it might take hours for the fuel to pass thru.

The reserve tank will now fill the engine automatically via siphon action. The engine tank will fill past the vented cap, causing massive leaks. You can plug the cap with a self-tapping screw and the engine will now vent thru the Happy Time gas cap.

Before I installed the reserve tank, I had to fill the engine tank every 10 miles. I did this by running the bike up a tree. Of course when I brought the bike to level ground, the fuel would leak thru the vented cap.

No more problems when I installed the reserve tank. My fuel supply had tripled and now I fill the tank every three days.

Did I mention that my Happy Time reserve tank feeds TWO engines?:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could modify a bag from wallyworld and hide a tank in it. Close to the engine hanging from the seat?

Attachments

• 29_tank_rear_open.jpg
    29_tank_rear_open.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 30_tank_right_rear.jpg
    30_tank_right_rear.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 492
You could add a Happy Time (aka Whizzer style) tank and retain your original Tanaka tank, but you must have gravity flow from the Happy tank to the Tanaka tank.

With an additional tank feeding it, the Tanaka tank fuel cap must seal fully (not be vented, that is).

Last edited:
I think the cap on the tanaka tank is fully sealed. I've over filled it before and nothing leaks out.
What I'd like to do and what I need help with (if it's even possible) is to attach the fuel line from the added whizzer style tank to the engine while keeping and without modifying the tanaka fuel tank.
I was wondering if this would work: Cut the tubing that comes from the tanaka fuel tank to the carb, install a brass "T" fitting and attach the fuel line going to the carb to one end, the fuel line coming from the tanaka tank to one end and the fuel line coming from the whizzer tank to the other and also install a petcock on the whizzer tank line so that I can switch between the tanaka fuel tank and the whizzer tank so that I can just switch over to the whizzer tank when the tanaka tank runs dry.
What I'm curious about though is the primer bulb and how that would be affected by such a modification. Would I be able to prime the engine from the whizzer tank if the tanaka tank runs dry?
Does the whizzer tank require a ventless cap?

Last edited:
You could also run the fuel line through the fuel grommet. That'd be better than tee-fitting the existing feed line.:unsure:

The carb's bulb will still suck gas from the primary tank, but passive siphoning action will draw fuel from the reserve.:geek:

My engines vent through the keyhole in the Happy Time reserve tank. You could also make a vent hole with a very small drill bit.:unsure:

I'm not sure what your referring to. What and where is the fuel grommet?

I'm also not sure where the vent is on my engine. Does every engine have a vent?

Your talking to a novice here :rolleyes: that's why I need pictures.
Haha!!!

You could also run the fuel line through the fuel grommet. That'd be better than tee-fitting the existing feed line.:unsure:

The carb's bulb will still suck gas from the primary tank, but passive siphoning action will draw fuel from the reserve.:geek:

My engines vent through the keyhole in the Happy Time reserve tank. You could also make a vent hole with a very small drill bit.:unsure:

You could add a Happy Time (aka Whizzer style) tank and retain your original Tanaka tank, but you must have gravity flow from the Happy tank to the Tanaka tank.

With an additional tank feeding it, the Tanaka tank fuel cap must seal fully (not be vented, that is).

The Tanaka does NOT have to be gravity fed. I ran mine and the tank was below the Tanaka tank. With only the aux tank vented as the normal tank uses gas it will be sucked from the aux tank. Trust me, it works as many of us already do it that way.

The Tanaka does NOT have to be gravity fed. I ran mine and the tank was below the Tanaka tank. With only the aux tank vented as the normal tank uses gas it will be sucked from the aux tank. Trust me, it works as many of us already do it that way.

Can you show me pictures of how you have yours set up??

Does the Tanaka have 2 hoses from the carb to the tank now?

If yes, one is the fuel line, and one is the fuel return line. The engine has a diaphram style fuel pump; it pumps more fuel than is needed, and the excess, along with enough air volume to replace the missing fuel is routed back to the tank.

This means that any additional tank/fuel lines you add should
  1. Be a closed, airtight system, and
  2. have a fuel line 'loop' in the plumbing. Ref the attached sketch.

Attachments

• FuelTankPlumbing.JPG
    FuelTankPlumbing.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 537
Back