robin subaru engine trouble

i took the bike this morning after the rain quit. I got 3.5 miles into a gentle ride when the engine started acting up again, then finally died. This has never happened before. I pedaled the last mile home and let the bike sit for a couple of minutes. Then pulled the starter cord twice and she was running again for a very short time. Sounded pretty good initially but then pooped out! To the non-mechanic in me this sounds pretty much like a fuel starvation problem inside the carb. The fuel tube to the carb is full.

Guess I will have to take old Bob's advice and try to find and then clean those screens he was talking about inside the carburator.

Any other suggestions out there? :confused:

Dale

here it is:

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 368
Thanks!

thanks to Happy Valley and Old Bob!

I'm out for a movie right now, Angels & Demons, but will order the filters tonight off fleabay.

I will try to get the carb pulled apart tomorrow a.m. Thanks also to the person who put up the service manual pdf location. I'm not the greatest mechanic, but should be able to figure this one out. :rolleyes:

Oh, went out and just discovered that I picked up something on my last ride, my rear tire is flat. Will give me the chance to get reaquainted with fixing bike tires ha, ha!

Happy Father's Day gents. Talk more tomorrow.

Dale WU7X

These are great little engines, very well built and almost trouble free until gas gets rancid / old / nasty / etc. The carburator is very precise and has very close tolerences.

I know you said you cleaned it; clean it again and this time totally take it apart and soak every thing and blow out every passage; and I bet you will be good to go.

filters ordered

I ordered four of those filters. that should last me a long time :D

I'm leaving on vacation soon, so will wait to pull the carb apart until I get home.

You folks here are the greatest! Thanks for you comments and support. And sorry if I am stealing this thread away from Mountain Man. That was not my intention.

Dale WU7X

sorry if I am stealing this thread away from Mountain Man. That was not my intention.

Dale WU7X

Don't let it worry ya.....we steal things off him regularly;regular as clockwork.
Look at that picture over there MM. :D

blowing smoke up the old tail pipe

Don't let it worry ya.....we steal things off him regularly;regular as clockwork.
Look at that picture over there MM. :D

when I look back at threads such as this

it seems that at many times I butt in too much anyways

noTHING stolen from the getting older day by day on my motor bike Mountainman

just glad to be here with my little Mb
I enjoy most of you here -- a whole lot
ok -- stop blowing smoke up the old tail pipe now !!!

MM

Got the the gas filters

The gas filters showed up while I was on vacation.

I fixed the flat tire, and then for giggles, went out for a quick ride. The rear tire blew out again!! Oh, the engine was running pretty well until then. Ended up pushing the bike back about 1 mile to the house.

I'll be pulling the carb apart on Wednesday. Will check the screen and diaphram and will install one of the fuel filters.

Will also be buying one of those kevlar tubes and see how well they work.

Dale WU7X :eek:

You should have a screen in the fuel pick up in the tank and then the screen inside the carb. They aren't really filters and are easy to clean. I use an old tooth brush and mineral spirits paint thinner. The diaphragms in the carb are normally good for years, but ethanol in the gas could harden them. Replace them if they are hard or have wrinkles, as mentioned earlier. I used to have a metal can for fuel but found tiny specks of rust and dirt in the can was plugging up the screens. I ordered the largest optional fuel tank from Staton and fill it directly at the gas station. I haven't had to clean the screens since eliminating the "middle man" metal gas can.
On another note, the engine manual calls for 100 ccs of oil in the crankcase. It is to much and gets sucked into the air intake as noted earlier. If you ride on really rough terrain(mountain biking) only fill the oil to the bottom of the dip stick, again, as noted earlier. Since I ride on streets, I fill the crankcase with 1/3 cup of Castrol Syntec 5W-50 oil. It is less than 100 ccs, but seems to be adequate and I've had zero problems with the two Robins I've owned and driven hard(WOT mostly) for 6 years now. A 1/3 cup measuring device is easier to find in the States than a 100cc measure anyway.

Back