Project: OVERKILL

Appye, Sorry about the baffles but I put red lock tight on the tiny screws, maybe jb weld would be better, I never liked the way the baffles were held in by 1 little screw,anyway blocked exhaust wont toast a motor. I bet it is loud.

Appye, You can block off 1 stinger and it will run fine with very little loss of top end, you would gain a little low end and some mid range, 2 strokes like a little back pressure. The x-can came with a plug to block 1 off if you want.

Heh heh ... yeah, that tiny screw seems a little ridiculous to me as well. They are almost small enough to work on a pair of sunglasses. I did not notice that it was really all that louder without the baffles, but I am thinking it is basically like a hot day in Vegas where it is 120 degrees. It really doesn't feel all that different from 110, both just feel blazingly oppressively hot. This engine is loud, period. I did notice a seeming loss of bottom end though. Perhaps when I install a muffler (using both ports) it will achieve the same effect?

I have thought about using that little plug, but I first have to try my luck going up that hill (Colima) on my route to work. I will probably test that today. I will make sure to bring along some channel locks so as to try the hill with only one exhaust port as well, but if it goes strong up that hill, then my theory probably stands where the one time I did go up that hill it did not have as much power. It definately did not have anything to do with stops and whatnot either. I have been up that hill three times now. The first time there were no stops and I was doing almost 40. The second time I hit all three lights and came to a complete stop each time, but was still doing 35 at the top. The third time I hit no lights, and was pedaling hard and hitting 30. Letting off of the pedals caused the bike to slow. I do vaguely remember noticing an improvement in low end accelleration, but I chalked it up to the engine breaking in. It sure does feel flat and powerless up to 15mph now though.

Okay, so the scorch marks were definately brown and no blued metal of any kind. So they must have been caused by the blocked exhaust/rich mixture. I did not think to try scratching it off with a fingernail. Not gonna try now! The glazing at the one skirt was not colored at all, I could only see that the horizontal machine pattern was rubbed away. There was no glazing on the cylinder wall though.

I also gotta read up on the thing kerf experienced where the air filter kept filling up with oil. I am thinking it was caused by the blocked exhaust, but it happened to me as well.

Aggressive port timing, the intake port timing allows a pulse back through the carb. All cylinder port engines do it. With this timing, however, getting heavy on the throttle at low RPM (high loading) will spray fuel back through the carb. Take off the air cleaner, get someone to hold the bike, give her a short burst at WOT with your hand behind the carb.

I see. So I should just lay off of the throttle until I start hitting that midrange band then. I soaked the air cleaner in some hot soapy water and cleared it up pretty well. A whole boatload of oil came out of it as well. Had to resoap the glass a few times before it stayed clear after a bit of soaking.

Today, I shall try that trip up the hill and maybe play around with my two-speed problem for a bit as well. I moved my rollers over a bit to make sure that the problem was not caused by the chain rolling off of them but haven't road tested it yet.

Yeah. I think I am going to have to do that once a week or so... Engine ran strong but I did not get to test out the 35mph up Colima blvd thing. I did however get the two speed stuff working just right. I think I might just get a shifter on that thing. Even if it isn't running as strong as it was before, it ran like a champ with that 12 tooth gear while I did some real mountain riding today. I am SO excited about this. I see a Mt. Baldy trip sometime in the next few days, weather permitting.

as you go forward you can work out your optimum oil mix ratio and will get some of the performance back.

even I ( having burnt one of these already ) am not convinced they NEED 25:1 final permanant oil ratio.

as i worked mine out i was aware of the performance increase each time i thined down the oil. it was obvious when i went from 25 organic to 35:1 semi synthetic. it was obvious again when i went from 35 semi synth to 50:1 full synth. and it was still abvious when i went to 75:1 full synth. even at 75:1 i never went under 1-3/8 turn on the "H" screw this is because each molicuel of oil eliminated makes room for that same amount of fuel ,so, more power.

i never had any problems until i moded the Dom. and changed it's characteristics without an accompanying change in jetting.

good to hear you have a handle on the chain and 2 speed stuff.

steve

Back