bike lights

hi upgw,

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=883

this is the sort of setup i use on my bike, i didnt want to mess around with the small lead acid batteries either, nowhere to mount it was my main problem.

I already had a 14 volt battery type very simular to the one in the link although you can buy the straight 12 volt setup.

With the battery i am able to power a double headlight 40watt 25watt combo, a rear trailer light which i use for my brake light, just as bright as any car light, i even have a scotter horn wired in. LOUD!!!!

i commute 5 nights a week around 10 miles, my return is in the afternoon and the setup has been invaluable too me as the roads here are crazy....

Last edited:
that looks pretty affordable. but their li-ion batteries are expensive. they cost more than my bike with the motor. (ok almost.) so you can run a 14 volt battery on a 12volt light without frying the bulbs?

i don't think led flashlights are gonna give me enough light. i already tried a few and they're pretty much just for being seen.

i don't think led flashlights are gonna give me enough light. i already tried a few and they're pretty much just for being seen.
Not the Coast P7. Review is here with pics: http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/led_lenser_p7_led_flashlight_8407_

Ya gotta scroll down to the last beamshot! That's why I bought this light, but it was $95 on eBay. I also bought a Coast 7732 for my mom to keep in her purse for like $32 or so, because any order over $100 from the seller knifeandlightoutdoor got free shipping. It was a pretty good deal, IMO, considering I've used Coast LED flashlights before and LOVED them. That new P7 just came out, but I'm not sure about the battery life. If I can get 3 hours at max brightness from 4-AAA batteries... I'll be more than happy with the purchase.

I'll be posting a review when it gets here next week.

I'm really enjoying the LED Lenser P7 for $95. I left the battery on overnight and it's still pretty bright. I'm expecting this to stay reasonably bright for way more than 30 hours.

And the beam is wide. I like it a lot. The Cateye EL530 I have is not good at all for a MB. Worst $40 I ever spent in my entire life.

The Fenix L2D and L2T are the only other lights you should consider other than the Coast Lenser P7. I like the beam pattern of the Coast light, and how the battery will last a good bit longer than the regulated Fenix lights.

As much as I enjoy the light, I hate myself for not mounting it two days ago. I was riding at night with my crappy Cateye headlight, and totally missed this huge pile of gravel directly in front of me while turning.

I wasn't going fast by any means, but the lower halves of my palms are torn up, my right shoulder has a nice scrape maybe about 2 inches wide (and it definitely affected both muscle and bone movement... hurts pretty bad), and a little knick right above my right eye.

I already have scars on my face, so I'm not worried about my looks one bit. The shoulder thing effected my sleeping quite a bit, and I have to sleep on my stomach, and can't move my hands in many directions since they're wet with neosporin. Not being able to use my hands freely is the biggest killer.

If there are any two things you should learn from this thread it's:

(1) Get a really good headlight with great visibility for *you*, and use it!! (Golly, that ticks me off I didn't mount it right away)
(2) Use gloves!! I see "Don't forget your helmet" all the time here, but I've seen mention of gloves like once, maybe twice. Something I'd never think about until too late.

Back