FEDERAL LAW SAYS YES !!! And now State Law too ? Yes !!!!

Oh my technique for merging for holes ha ha is I hold my hand down to my left side.

I understand that a lot of bike paths don't allow you to use motorized vehicles (bikes/mopeds, etc). But if I'm ONLY pedaling, ie not using the motor, is there any reason why I couldn't still use a bike path? I mean, isn't a person allowed to ride a bike and carry whatever they want on the back rack? :)

Ride em' like you stole em' - only keep peddling...

That's correct Vara... As long as you do not get caught with the motor running - You're OK. So just keep peddling and keep the motor quiet! -EZ

New and somewhat lost here ?? It would help -- VERY MUCH -- to know where to find the Federal Laws in regards to ridinging my motorized bicycle.. Living in Calif. -- sounds like --- problems ahead ?? Hope not !!! HP 1.6 Have a good day. from Mountainman

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=99073&postcount=36

That post explains how this all started because Spooky Tooth's website misinterpreted the federal law as to saying that 50cc engines or smaller were allowed. That's simply not true.

What it comes down to is this... there is no federal law on gas-powered bicycles. It all comes down to your local laws - not just state, but cities also!! And not even just the laws, but what cop is around and what mood he's in.

In my state, a 20" BMX with pedals and a 33cc engine on the back is a motorcycle!! Mississippi tends to have the vaguest laws. I ride it everywhere & mostly never get messed with, but one cop did pull me over when I wasn't pedaling at all, because I took the chain off to put a bigger crank sprocket. =^/ And I ended up only having to buy a headlight (good idea anyway) & paying for a reduced no helmet ticket (found a good helmet at the thrift store for $4, so that helped average out the ticket).

Anyway, a cop can do whatever he wants in this country nowadays. Most of the time, they're doing what they believe to be right.. but not all the time. Just check your local laws so that you know the truth... even if it's not allowed, keep riding & do the fake-ped. It's worth the trouble with the cops, esp. when most of them are only trying to ask you how fast it goes, how many MPGs it gets, & where he can get one!!

Be a rebel.

i hear about bike show and swap in chehalis soon, please post particulars, maybe someone could put up an info booth, maybe distributors would show up, how about having petitions being availble, calling news outlets and such, it would be great if we showed up in numbers, how about a build on site and a give away after, a picture board and whatever else that would further our hobby. just noodeling mitch

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=99073&postcount=36

That post explains how this all started because Spooky Tooth's website misinterpreted the federal law as to saying that 50cc engines or smaller were allowed. That's simply not true.

What it comes down to is this... there is no federal law on gas-powered bicycles. It all comes down to your local laws - not just state, but cities also!! And not even just the laws, but what cop is around and what mood he's in.

In my state, a 20" BMX with pedals and a 33cc engine on the back is a motorcycle!! Mississippi tends to have the vaguest laws. I ride it everywhere & mostly never get messed with, but one cop did pull me over when I wasn't pedaling at all, because I took the chain off to put a bigger crank sprocket. =^/ And I ended up only having to buy a headlight (good idea anyway) & paying for a reduced no helmet ticket (found a good helmet at the thrift store for $4, so that helped average out the ticket).

Anyway, a cop can do whatever he wants in this country nowadays. Most of the time, they're doing what they believe to be right.. but not all the time. Just check your local laws so that you know the truth... even if it's not allowed, keep riding & do the fake-ped. It's worth the trouble with the cops, esp. when most of them are only trying to ask you how fast it goes, how many MPGs it gets, & where he can get one!!

Be a rebel.

Thank you Sparky for the input. My 1.6 gas motor should be here in a week.. Looking forward to riding -- JUST TRYING TO GET UP ON THE LAWS -- so as to be ready !! It seems there are some very - gray areas... Have a great day, Mountainman

Hi Mitch -- yes that sound like a good idea. From some past experiences in other areas I have some News connections -- maybe a call for support when the time comes ?? Have a great day, Mountainman

OK. I Did some digging & came up with some links for you to take a look at.

Essentially, it appears that the DOT (Dept. of Transportation) and the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) are duking it out at the moment. Although, if they seriously get into a shouting match, DOT outranks NHTSA...:cool:

The NHTSA Rules Interpretation Files had a couple of responses which seemed to fit motorized bicycles as a class.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/15444.ztv.html
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/14165.ztv.html

The scoop is that NHTSA feels that if a Motorized Bicycle is capable of pulling out from a standing start, then it should be classified as a motor vehicle (Motored Bike.) If it can't (engine power, gearing, clutch, etc.) then it shouldn't be classified as a motor vehicle. The idea is that if the bike motor is used to ASSIST the human pedaler, (in going up hills, or for continuing to push the bike along when the pedaler is fatiqued,) then it should be treated as a bicycle. (Did I ever tell you that I get tired VERY easily ??? ;))

Now, on the other hand, the DOT has a different spin on things.

DOT Intrepretation & feedback
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2005/pdf/05-11764.pdf
This issue of the Federal Registrar discusses the 20 MPH speed limit of motorized bicycles, and how the testing would be performed.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf92/342345_web.pdf
A letter from the motorcycle industry council, responding to the proposed DOT regulation above. Although against implementing the regulation, they noted what we already know (and find frustrating)
"The maximum speed of a human-powered bicycle can be considerably greater than 20 mph."
That last link to the DOT's PDF doesn't work. Is that the one where they list the "federal rules for exemption", such as:

1. The engine system may not exceed 30 MPH on the flat, no wind.
2. The engine system may not exceed 2 BHP.
3. The engine system may not exceed 50 cc.
4. The engine system may not interfere with normal pedaling.
5. The engine system must not require shifting.
6. The engine system must be a fully independent power source.

????????????

I'm trying to look for this source from the DOT so I can include it in a letter to the head of the Highway Patrol (essentially our DMV), just to see how s/he will respond to a 20" BMX bicycle with a weed eater motor attached to it.

I feel like the DOT letter that states these "rules for exemption" is one of the best tools we have to convince officials we're not riding on motorcycles, and there's nothing wrong with what we're doing. Where can I find these rules??

Last edited:
I see it's posted on GEBE's website, and there was another one.. but I can't find it. I'm looking for something more official than what the owner of a bike engine company states.

Back