Clutch cable better mounting yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from a long ride today. I absolutely love it. The clutch pull is so smooth now;before it felt grabby cause..it's hard to explain..the kink I had made it...just not smooth.
This is especially a good mod for those weak in the hand muscles (not to be a chauvinist,but like your wife or small people) and good for all if you want that smooth clutch takeoff.
It's simply so worth doing this mod,and best of all I'm not near as worried as I was before as to "Is this the last pull this cable is gonna stand?"
Now I can lock my clutch lever all day and not worry.
ALL happy time owners need to do this mod.
I bet with some machinery,one can make a visually appealing mount that would look like it goes with the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is a great idea, Large. This weekend, I'm going to go look in the bike graveyard and see if a piece of a junked front or rear deraileurr could be modified to work as a bracket since it already has the socket for the cable end. And maybe an old turning block from a ancient racing style 10speed could be substituted for the door roller. I remember the old bikes that ran bare wire and had turning blocks at the frame joints, something like that.

Very good tweek Large,good thinking.
All these modifications help....some u adopt and some u don't,but it's ALWAYS better to know.

Just came back from yet another long ride and when I parked it at the Library I found ANOTHER new benefit.

Anti Theft Device!

When you're locking up your bike,with your finger push in the clutch arm enough to flick the clutch cable away from the roller. Then tuck it under the roller (optional).

Now here comes low life want to take your bike @#$^%$#@er. Somehow he manages to break your bike lock and his adrenalin is pumping and he moves it...but your rear wheel isn't budging and your clutch isn't working. So he picks it up and RUNS AWAY but then you see him and give chase and by the time you catch up to him he's like so tired out and you can beat the $#%&*&^%$#!@.....^%$#@%$#@ out of him and he goes to jail and the day is saved!

Yes. That is EXACTLY how it would happen.

(And on the installation,I think that the bigger a pulley you can get,the easier the clutch pull will be because of the 90 degree bend on the cable. A smaller wheel would have more cable bend,a larger wheel would have less. Less bend equals easier pull.)

Attachments

• benefit.JPG
    benefit.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,614
Last edited by a moderator:
There are times when you think there can't be anymore modifications or tweaks to these HT's and then along comes Large Filipino...that's innovation for ya! You and others is why I continue to check in each day here, I invariably learn something.

Just came back from yet another long ride and when I parked it at the Library I found ANOTHER new benefit.

Anti Theft Device!

When you're locking up your bike,with your finger push in the clutch arm enough to flick the clutch cable away from the roller. Then tuck it under the roller (optional).

Now here comes low life want to take your bike @#$^%$#@er. Somehow he manages to break your bike lock and his adrenalin is pumping and he moves it...but your rear wheel isn't budging and your clutch isn't working. So he picks it up and RUNS AWAY but then you see him and give chase and by the time you catch up to him he's like so tired out and you can beat the $#%&*&^%$#!@.....^%$#@%$#@ out of him and he goes to jail and the day is saved!

Yes. That is EXACTLY how it would happen.

(And on the installation,I think that the bigger a pulley you can get,the easier the clutch pull will be because of the 90 degree bend on the cable. A smaller wheel would have more cable bend,a larger wheel would have less. Less bend equals easier pull.)

Now that's a video I wanna see. :D

It really is a great idea, Large. This weekend, I'm going to go look in the bike graveyard and see if a piece of a junked front or rear deraileurr could be modified to work as a bracket since it already has the socket for the cable end. And maybe an old turning block from a ancient racing style 10speed could be substituted for the door roller. I remember the old bikes that ran bare wire and had turning blocks at the frame joints, something like that.

Some of the old Sturmey-Archer three speed hubs used the bare wire and rollers for shifting. Great idea Mickey! You and Large are a killer MB design team.

I'm thinking now that I CAN improve on this design.
I was looking at this thread:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=100587&postcount=5
And Augi has that amazing idea to keep the clutch cable intact.
So I could just tin snip an opening to that mount so I could do this too for the brake lever nut and bolt is ALREADY cut for easy cable removal,but it would pretty much weaken that mount.
So maybe get a thick metal bar stock to bolt to the L frame on top and the bend is already there,cut it down,drill it,thread tap it then cut a slit from up top.
That would definetly make the whole assembly stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back