How to get CA license Plate

AdamT

Local time
5:01 AM
Just got my CA license plate this is how i did it.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

print out form 230 from DMV website under Vin I put teh vin # of my bike then to make the vin 17 #s like a car i put the name of my bike to fill in the rest so i looked like CRANBR###########. I have a Huffy Cranbrooke.
Engine # i just put the spark plug product #
Make was HUFFY
Fill out the rest and mail in with $19. ( this was in 2009)
Wait 3 weeks and you get it.

My registration papers says it is a motorized bicycle but under body type it has the code MP (moped?) and says it is a moped under type vehicle use.

heard it can take a few tries
Good Luck

that's a good THING AdamT
would recommend to others instead of using spark plug number for engine number
if none is found on your engine
one can stamp in a number
or even just scratch a made up number into -- onto engine
if lost or stolen -- the pooolice do look for these numbers on engins

have fun as you ride that plated thing

You can just use the bikes number and don't need to add anything too it, I didn't. Got mine in about the same time frame 3 weeks. Hardest part for me was finding somewhere to put the plate, it's too big for a bicycle if you ask me.

Last edited:
Ca call for two different sets of numbers

You can just use the bikes number and don't need to add anything too it, I didn't.

calls for two sets of numbers
yes for one as you say -- ones from bicycle

where did you get the other numbers from ??
or did you use the bicycle numbers twice ?? split them up ??

ride that thing

calls for two sets of numbers
yes for one as you say -- ones from bicycle

where did you get the other numbers from ??
or did you use the bicycle numbers twice ?? split them up ??

ride that thing

For the vin just use the bicycle serial number "think mine had 10 characters". Engine number I had one stamped on the motor mount "01290", on my grubee it was stamped on to the plate on the side "08117", but you could probably just make one up.

Last edited:
I've gotten plates for a number of electric "mopeds" in California. Sending it in is easiest but you do have to wait a few weeks. I just went to the DMV today and got a plate for my new Schwinn Delmar/HT and it took about 30 minutes. It should be faster but the DMV employee that helped me in the past is no longer there. I had to get the new employee up to speed.

The ID# can be anything and any length for a moped. I use the number stamped on the bike frame. Today the DMV employee tried to enter my moped ID# to verify it. She then counted the number of characters in the ID# and asked if I missed any. I said that since it is not a titled motor vehicle, the number does not have to conform as such. Once she found the correct moped registration procedure and input the shorter number, the computer took it. I also used the engine number that was stamped on the engine but you can just put a line through that entry. I have done this before and it was accepted.

To comply with the law, you also need the correct equipment. At minimum, you need to add a stoplamp, horn and mirror. For night riding, you also need a taillamp and headlamp. There are some other requirements, but these will usually keep you from getting stopped or cited.

I just made an appointment at the DMV to take my bike in an get it registered. For those who have done this, how closely to they check out the bike? Also, are turn signals, lights, reflectors, etc required? Anything to help me be fully prepared when i go in would be great!

I hope your not talking about California.
you cannot take your bike there , they have no clue what it is and cant help you. there is no inspection (if there were we'd all be done)
just fill out form reg 230 fill out and send in to sacremento with 19 bucks and wait 3 weeks for your plate and reg.
and hopefully you already have your m2 endorsement on your drivers licsense to ride in cali.

Back