Boardtrack/bobber vintage motorcycle thing

Beau

Local time
12:12 PM
I hate the **** Chinese kits with a passion. So I found an tiny little engine and I'm gonna see if it works. I took a piece of scrap pipe and bent a new downtube for a Schwinn I had laying around. After hacking out a section of the down tube I welded it in. I cut out a plate to mount the Briggs and Stratton and have started collecting parts for the rest of the build.

This evening I installed a different, rigid fork for tire clearance on the bike. I laced up a MTB disk brake front hub on to a Surly Large Marge rim. It's wider than any other MTB rim and with 2.4" tires they should be short and fat. I'm hoping the 24" wheels will give the bike a longer look without having to stretch the frame.

I took an old set of cruiser bars that had the right bend and chopped them off so I had a nice, narrow set of boardtrack looking bars and installed inverted levers.

That's about as far as I have made it for now.

194? Scwhinn Excelsior
26" Ross straight blade forks
1951 Briggs 1 h.p. with centrifugal belt drive clutch
Chopped cruiser bars
Time trial bar end mount levers (inverted or reverse levers)
24" Surly Large Marge DH rims
Disk front hub
24"x2.40 CST street tires

This is just a mock-up picture of the frame. Non of the parts are it are going to be used.

DSCI0040.jpg

Engine

DSC00596.jpg

Bars-

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00601.jpg

Rims-

3148383617_9345c33959.jpg

Inspiration-

indian1.jpg

I love those rims! do they fit with run of the mill cruiser tires? I am still learning bike jargon as well as what dimensions of this-that-and-the other all mean...

I'm running the 24" so it will just squeeze in to the rear triangle. The fork I'm using has plenty of clearance though.

I remember that spinner on the old briggs- can really do a number on your leg. A recoil would be a lot safer.

I plan to get rid of the recoil and hook up a freewheel to the shaft on that side. so it will be pedal start, but the bike won't actually pedal.

That thing would for sure do some damage though.

I also picked up a Tecumseh 3 h.p 2 cycle at a swap for $5. It's too tiny to put in the frame though. I think I'm gonna put in in ta 20" frame for the lady.

I got the rear wheel laced up this morning. I'm using an ATOM drum brake rear hub.

Our shop camera sucks so the pics are a bit fuzzy.

I'm still waiting on the tires I will be using. They'll be a tad bit wider than the one I have on the front.

DSCI0050.jpg

DSCI0049.jpg

DSCI0045.jpg

Yeah it is a bit of extra weight. Not much more than an standard set of heavy duty cruiser wheels though. I'm going to run a 203mm disk rotor on the front. I use them on my downhill bike and they provide a lot of power. I'm not sure the little briggs will power it though.

Today's work.

Drilled handlebars for internal brake cables and baseball glove leather string for grips.

DSCI0069.jpg

DSCI0068.jpg

Back