Tubes Inner tube rotating on rim?

BigPotato

Local time
3:53 AM
I've noticed that after 10 or 20 miles the valve stem will start to point at a angle, indicating that the inner tube valve stem is no longer centered on the valve stem hole in the rim. It would appear that the inner tube is rotating in the same plane as the wheel rotation. I've taken the tire off several times and realigned the inner tube, but after a few rides the stem is at an angle again. Although the problem is most pronounced on my front wheel I can see a similar effect on the rear as well. If I just leave it the angle gets more and more pronounced and I'm afraid there is undue stress on the stem and tube.

Both front and rear are Serfas Drifter Survivor 26x2" tires, with Mr. Tuffy liners and thorn resistant tubes, inflated to 40 psi.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this and any possible solutions?

Thanks.

Unusual problem & if left unchecked would cause even bigger problems....something sounds wrong with your rims(please post pics)
I'm assuming u have rim-tape between the rim & tyre?

The tape over the spoke ends is the only thing missing from your description.

It's a puzzler, that's for sure.

5 layers of electric tape does 3 things. Reinforces the rubber gasket, prevents that gasket from movement, AND when you poke a screwdriver through at the valve hole, insert the valve, that tape also makes a cushion between the valve and the metal opening.

your problem sounds interesting,
i would call/call into a bike shop and ask.
wait or search long enough:whistle:, u may/prolly will get the answer here,
but a bike shop can explain solutions
in person.

I have had some good advice/diagnosis with my bike
at bike shops.

Last edited:
It must have to do with the speeds we maintain, doing things to wheels, tires and tubes that they aren't intended to do.

But it should be an apples versus apples equation, B P is using the same tire/tube as me, but mine stays stable.

The only other things I consistently do are
1. ) use 12 gauge alloy wheel on back and
2. ) zip tie all my spokes on both wheels, which reduces loosening and breakage.

former bike shop owner
let's see -- either tire is sliping causing tube to follow
but -- thinking it's the tube
usually this happens because of low pressure in tires
can you raise pressure 5 lbs ??

or you can put in some small ridge ways under spoke protector strip
the tuble will not -- should not slip over a very small high spot

MM

i run my tyres at 35psi as i had the same problem. i found that any lower and they rotate (due to under inflation) and any higher they do the same. i have no idea why. also when your pulling the tube yr combo on and off the rim are you using a lubricant or tools. i always remove my just by hand. using a lubricant would cause the whole tyre and tube to move. which sounds like it i the problem. and using the wrong tools can stretch the tyre's beading causeing it to not properly seat and do the same thing... hope it helps ya out.PS.. i have a different tyre and tube setup to you

Thanks for all the responses. Here's some more info:

1) The front rim is an old, fairly heavy Giant MB rim. The rear is a brand new Velocity rim with heavy gauge spokes from GEBE. Both rims appear to be true and undamaged.

2) On the most problematic wheel (the front), I have plastic rim tape (came with the wheel) and a couple of layers of electrical tape over that.

3) I usually drive at around 25 mph, but can hit much higher speeds down hills.

4) There are lots of speed bumps on my commute, which I hit at full speed.

5) No suspension on bike.

6) I'm heavy: 250 lbs

7) I haven't needed to use any lubricant when installing/removing the tube and tire, and I only use plastic tire irons to avoid damage.

From everyone's responses, it looks like I need to increase the friction between the tube and the tire/rim. Both the liner and the electrical tape are smooth and quite slippery, so I suspect that they have conspired to lower the friction below a critical point.

As an experiment I'm going to remove the liner and see what happens. While not a permanent solution, it will at least give some more data.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Fronts usually aren't the flat-prone tires, what I usually do on my builds is $10 thick thorn proof on back and $7 slimer on front. I slow down for speed bumps, if I can't manuver around them.

But its the back that is getting all the stress, so I make sure I put a tire liner back there.

However, somebody recommended a used motorcycle tube as a liner, and that is a "look out for" item for me I might experiment with.

Yeah, pull the liner out of the front, and get as exact on pressure as you can, then keep the fingers crossed.

Post results here later, so we all will know the answer.

Thanks !

Back