Power up with Nitro Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyinchville1

Doing a little reading an another site and found some interesting info I thought I'd share here...(If there are any RC enthusiasts here willing to try this in one of our engines I'm sure everybody would be interested in hearing the results...Oh Yeah!)...The following came from Mopedarmy,,,,

Nitromethanol, also known as RC-car fuel is an alcohol based fuel that burns faster and hotter than gasoline. This increases the performance greatly.

But as most people know, alcohol dissolves oil. And oil is what keeps your 2-stroke going. Also the added heat can cause your piston to over expand and instantly seize. So you will need a good lead-replacer (The type that goes into old cars that run on leaded fuel) to insure a good heat-conduction of the piston and cylinder wall. Also you will need special nitromethane 2-stroke oil, so the oil doesn't dissolve.

Don't use more than 15% nitromethane, as it will surely kill your engine. Mix the oil and lead-replacer with the fuel in the right proportions, shake and take for example 850ml's of that mixture and add 150ml's of nitromethane. Start the engine on normal fuel and run it till it is completely warmed up. Then switch to the nitromethane mixture.

Beware: You can't kill your engine by stopping the ignition anymore, the nitromethane mixture is self-combustible under pressure. So make sure you can cut the fuel off at any time!

*** MY Question: I wonder why you have to start on regular gas then switch over?....Is it to more gradually heat the engine?...RC engines don't have to switch over....Hmmmm any guesses?

As a long time R/C car guy here is my 2 cents worth. R/C fuel is made of alcohol, nitro and oil. It is essentially a premix like we use on our bike engines. The main difference between the two is the main ingredient, gasoline or alcohol. We really have 2 options. We could just add 5% to 10% nitro to our existing gas/oil mix or use R/C fuel. Using R/C fuel is expensive and the carburetors would have to be rejetted to run on alcohol. The alcohol behaves a little different than gas. Just like you can't switch between propane and natural gas on a gas grill. I did see a 14mm carb on Dave's site made for burning alcohol so it appears someone is burning alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:
well who is gonaa grow some **** and try runnig achohal in there happy time motor, lol

nitromethane. Is that like a liquid? MMMMmmm...maybe 1 ounce for every gallon....

Just use it as an additive?

How about just using nitro glow fuel as an additive to our regular fuel/oil mixture for just a little boost?

Gary

HI fly boy....that is kinda what I had in mind actually...just a little to make a difference....not so much as to blow it up.
Andrew

I saw this movie(supossed to be based on a real story) with Anthony Hopkins about a speed record: Indian
Well in the movie this guy that got the record on this old Indian, first drops one of his heart/chest pain pills inside the gas tank. Aren't those pils made out of Nitroglycerin or something similar?
Rent the video at your local videostore.

Great Movie!

Yes, Those are nitroglycerin tablets but the concentrations are so small that the idea is laughable...It was just a joke in the movie.

Gary

I've run tons of small engines on nitro and done some conversions to nitro from gas over the years.

As a minimum you've got to rejet the carbs to a larger size or the engine will run lean and possibly overheat.

BTW, nitro fuels vary from 9% to 20% in oil content. A typical 15% fuel with 17% oil content has about 22 ounces of oil per gallon which is way overkill for our engines.

I had a Dellorto replica carb lying around and tried it on my Dax. The Dellorto carb ran very rich on the top end and I had to add 4 oz of 15% nitromethane fuel to the tank to get it running at a good mixture setting (not too rich or too lean). I decided to go back to the original carb and use plain gas and oil. I think the Dellorto replica carb would run perfectly for someone at sea level but I'm at 6500 feet above sea level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back