Tubes Fire Hose tyre liner.

F

fetor56

I thought i'de trial this as a heavy duty 2" tyre liner,either in it's standard form or cut in halves to make 2 liners.
Really it's meant as a VERY high pressure water hose so it has to be tough as nails.Speaking of nails i tried piercing a nail through it & i must say most unsuccessfually;good. :D
liner.JPG

Another thing that might work well is swimming pool drain hose - it's lighter than firehose, and certainly not as strong, but, it's pretty tough, and it's fairly flexible, (and thin, which may be important from a tube-chaffing viewpoint...)

Had a rear flat today,nothing to do with the fire-hose tyre liner cos it was a small split on the inside of the tube(must have been a faulty tube)
Removing the fire-hose it remained straight,while a commercially bought tyre liner snakes all over the place after use(heat build up & tyre squirming on corners)......interesting difference. :-/
We'll see how this new thorn resistant tube goes.

hose

where could I pick up some of that hose?

i know its an old post, but i got some hose at our fire dept. they had a bunch lying around that was damaged. They gave us around 200 feet to use around my sons RC car track in our backyard. They were happy to help us out

Another thing that might work well is swimming pool drain hose - it's lighter than firehose, and certainly not as strong, but, it's pretty tough, and it's fairly flexible, (and thin, which may be important from a tube-chaffing viewpoint...)

YOU MEAN LIKE THIS? I'VE BEEN RUNNING THESE FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS. NO FLATS FOR ME...YET. ALSO PASSES THE NAIL PUNCTURE TEST MENTIONED ABOVE.
NUTZ

Attachments

• Tire Liner 001.jpg
    Tire Liner 001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 627
  • Tire Liner 002.jpg
    Tire Liner 002.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 687
huh, why didn't I think of that. All the PVC dewatering hose I've rolled up in my life, and it never occurred to me. I'm ashamed. :cry: That is a great idea.

The drain hose goes right in the tire the way it comes from the box, which is double thickness. I'm in the pool business so I buy it by the box, but you can get it cut to length where pool supplies are sold. It comes in 1.5" or 2" dia.

To install: Measure the outside circumference of your tire and get that much hose. It will be slightly too much when placed inside the tire so you'll have to trim off about an inch or two depending on the circumference. Then lay it out flat on the floor and brush on some contact cement on one side and let dry to a tack. Then brush the cement inside the tire and let dry. All this does is makes it easy to line up the liner and keep it in place until you mount the tube and rim. Trim any overlap of the liner and re-assemble the wheel.
I also use a "thorn proof" tube just to be sure. You know, belt and suspenders.
It's smooth rolling and when I tried to pierce it with a nail it would just stretch and a whole lot of force was needed to start a puncture. I think between two layers of the hose and the tire itself along with the HD tube, I'm covered.
Nuttsy

Back