CVT LF's Buggy Bike got itself a CVT today!!

L

Large Filipino

I'm still giggling here and it's not even fully installed yet!
I got this CVT for my birthday still not here till May but it's here now.
I used this guy:
Fancy Scooter: Gas Scooters and Electric Scooters Retail and Wholesale
I couldn't use Pay Pal there's a glitch in his site when you register but it came Fed Ex within 2 days.
Check out the pics below and the video.
The 10 tooth sprocket the Titan kit comes with is a bolt on. The mounting bolts and the clutch bell it's all a bolt on,man.
I do want to say I'll leave Cronus alone for to me it's plenty fast but I could rather easily put one on Cronus too!
I'm really mixed up here as to what wheel to put on. This CVT has A LOT of drag.
A freewheel would really make this shine.
But my other option is a fixed sprocket but I gain a front drum brake.
I'll figure it out.
I'm so excited I think I'm gonna start tearing it down so I can flip the carrier.
So for all you speed junkies out there,here's a tranny for the Titan kit.
But I'm thinking you're really gonna need a freewheel.
More to come when it's all put together!

YouTube - Buggy bike CVT Titan initial install

2nd pic shows that this tranny isn't really that big by looking at my hand or something.
3rd pic shows the Titan sprocket. the c clip wouldn't go on but that sprocket has a tightening nut.

Attachments

• Photo0996.jpg
    Photo0996.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 771
  • Photo0997.jpg
    Photo0997.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 675
  • Photo0998.jpg
    Photo0998.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 675
  • Photo1001.jpg
    Photo1001.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 658
Good news. And, Happy Birthday! (early, I know...)

I picked up a CVT from ebay last week, so I'll be putting something together also. At the moment, I'm still collecting parts, though.

On yours, Large, what is the gearbox ratio on it? Not the pully ratio - with the cover off, how many turns of the driven pulley to one full turn of the sprocket?

Also, I believe that as you run it a bit, the stiff new belt will get 'broken in' and it won't drag as much.

I see you're using the jackshaft from the titan drive. That's where you could mount a freewheel - on the output of the jackshaft. Staton makes a 5/8 shaft freewheel adapter (as well as ones for a 3/4 inch shaft, or a 1 inch shaft.) The chain from the wheel up to the freewheel would 'spin' as you coast, but, the CVT wouldn't. (and a chain/sprocket would only 'lose' a few percent of your motion when coasting.)

Graucho the sprocket on the CVT is tiny so yea probably that #25 size.
Loquin the gearbox when I spun it by hand is showing 7:1.
And just the little gear box in itself is 3:1
MAN! I'm gonna need to check out that freewheel jack shaft. Sounds like with that I can use my drum brake wheel.

I ran into a little glitch today.

Picture 1 shows the sprocket alignment that's cool though because I can just flip that huge sprocket
around and it will line up but with the engine all the way up it the chain won't clear the housing.
I want to retain the 3 speed for now so I can choose what permanent gearing I want to go. This is the early Titan aluminum carrier.

Picture 2 shows the current Chrome Titan carrier I had laying around. Sorry it's a little dirty. OH LOOKY HERE!! Extra mounting holes!! With this I can have the sprockets almost vertical of each other!!

Wife is the boss of the house. My host home guy is on a home visit but it's cold out anyway.
She wants us to go see family today.

So that's all for now.

I'm excited.

Attachments

• Photo1002.jpg
    Photo1002.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 605
  • Photo1003.jpg
    Photo1003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 471
Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of Pointers

Large, if I may...
Take the cover off the gearbox and MAKE SURE it has oil in it. Some come through almost dry (which will ruin the bearings in short order); others come with (some) grease smeared on the bearings. If yours has grease, I recommend cleaning it off and refill with oil. It keeps the gears quieter also,
Next tip: use threadlock on the set screw of that sprocket. But even then, mine worked loose and the sprocket FELL OFF amid test ride! To remedy this I ground a little off the back of the sprocket until the circlip once again was useable.
Good luck to you, I know you're gonna enjoy that CVT.
Oh, and the original sprockets that come with the CVT are for 8mm chain 17 or 18 tooth.
WC

THANKS for the tips Nuttsy! I really would feel safe with that clip in there. It looks like I may have to shave inside the sprocket where it seats because on the end of this shaft it gets fatter which is why it won't go any deeper.
And I didn't even think about the oiling. The gearbox has oil in it no grease around the pulleys.
Will check it in the morning.

The drag will loosen up a bit once the gears/belt gets broken in.

The stock sprockets they usually come with are 8mm.
You can get splined sprockets either in 8mm or 25H chain size.

If you'll be mounting the CVT not upright,
be sure to replace the oil plug bolt with the hole in it with a sealed bolt.
I fill all my CVTs up with synthetic 10w30 oil. Works great.

Last edited:
This CVT actually has the vent plug on top when installed sideways. You can see it on the first pic. Also the CVT logo on the cover is right side up.
Here's some pics of the finished product!
It's a 3 speed with CVT.
Yes,I can still shift gears.
So.
1st gear felt like 1st gear when I had the 5 to 1 gearbox! Sorry but that was my experience. But I did rather notice an increase in pulling power and overall higher speed but watching the belt which is easy because it's right in front of me never went to top gear. It's like it stayed on....5 to 1 but maybe a little steeper because I did go a bit faster.
2nd gear same thing. Higher overall speeds but the gearbox never went to top gear. It's a variable tranny though so as long as there is what's that word.. resistance from my weight or the wind whatever it will stay on the right gear.
3rd gear the engine will keep me at about the same speed as with the 5 to 1 gear box but with less rpm's.

I do need to get rid of this 3 speed arrangement though. That huge sprocket is proving too much for the jack shaft. Because it's a 5/8 sprocket with a reducer to fit on that 1/2 inch shaft it slips unless you get it really tight on the sprocket bolts. Well one of the bolts snapped off and I couldn't get it out broke my extractor #$%$#.

So tomorrow I'm bringing out that 5 speed cluster wheel I really need that freewheel and I have a 10,12 and a 15 tooth to play with the gearing. These are 1/2 inch size so slipping would not be an issue. And with the larger sprocket that would really take the load on the carrier.

Today's ride was just not fair though in evaluating this CVT because I'm absolutely sure my huge sprocket was already loosening when I put on the gas. With the 5 speed cluster wheel and the smaller jack shaft sprocket that would really take the load off and I can really give a honest opinion.

But I do know that Cronus will not get this mod because it does very well on hills the gearing is perfect and with a fixed sprocket the DAX gear box is very very close to having a freewheel when you need to pedal with engine off.

The Buggy Bike does a lot of hauling so I need that gearing to keep me along.

Pics below shows my install and even with a big sprocket it clears when you use the extra mounting holes and that #$%$@ huge sprocket with the stud that won't come off and the reducer that keeps slipping #$%$@!!

Attachments

• Photo1004.jpg
    Photo1004.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 511
  • Photo1005.jpg
    Photo1005.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 540
  • Photo1006.jpg
    Photo1006.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited by a moderator:
If the CVT is never getting into the high end, this means that your overall gear ratio is too low. (and, you'll end up with excessive belt wear on the CVT)

The initial CVT ratio is 7:1, but, when the CVT belt gets into the high range, the CVT will be at 3:1 ratio. This is the ratio you need to use in your top-end calcs.

Here's the 5/8 inch freewheel adapter, BTW.

Back